Rod suggestion for my T4NI

Started by ReelFishingProblems, July 29, 2018, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hello all,

I "finished" my T4NI (still has standard star and blade), and need to figure out what to pair it with.
I am leaning towards building something so I can match colors, and would like to get opinions on blanks.

I am not opposed to buying a finished rod either.

Currently plan on using this in the Gulf out of Tampa for grouper and snapper.

Thanks
Nick

STRIPER LOU

Lookin Sweet Nick! I'm a bit partial to that handle. Wonder why????

My buddy has a rainshadow blank that I like and may be suitable for your needs. I'll have to get the number from him. Nice medium action with a semi fast tip.

Best regard's,  ..  Lou

SoCalAngler

What lb test will you use on the reel?

mikeysm

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 29, 2018, 03:18:31 PM
What lb test will you use on the reel?
I plan on 65lb braid and topshot/leader as appropriate for headboat/charter/friend's boat. Would a 20-50lb rod be too light?

John, I think you're right. I should build it myself. But still don't know about the blank.
Would love to splurge and put it on a calstar/Phenix/seeker/etc. just don't know which one.
I'm not familiar with rainshadow. Truthfully I only know about the others to include United components by reputation.  I'll need to check out the Gusa Tilefish rod.

Lou, that knob looks perfect on this build! Still haven't put locktight on the screws, but not ready to fish it anyways.

This will be my 5th build, so enough to know how patient and particular I should be with prep work/wraps/epoxy. Not afraid to keep trying until it's right. Expecting this to be a learning process too.

I am open to advice, information, and education.

Nick

thorhammer

advise: put up silt fence around the rod when it's drying after you last one :)

ReelFishingProblems

I bolted the CRB motor and stands to a plank of wood  and put a 10lb plate on the wood to keep any poltergeists from playing with it.
Now if I could keep all the doors closed to keep the humidity out, i'll Be a winner. Walked in the room next to where I have created a "controlled" climate and my wife opened the window!

MarkT

I second the UC Tilefish. Great for 40-50#. I have an Avet JX Raptor on mine. That reel would look great with the factory wrap!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: mikeysm on July 29, 2018, 03:25:10 PM
United composites Gusa Tilefish.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-UCUSA.htm

Mike

Looked at the Tilefish, they also sell the blank. Other than being an awesome rod, what makes UC better than some of the other brands in your opinion?

Nick

STRIPER LOU

Nick, asked my buddy about the Rainshadow blank I had mentioned and he said too light for what you want. Unfortunately no other suggestions at the moment.

..........................Lou

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on July 29, 2018, 09:46:31 PM
Nick, asked my buddy about the Rainshadow blank I had mentioned and he said too light for what you want. Unfortunately no other suggestions at the moment.

..........................Lou
Lou,

Thanks for asking anyways.

Nick

droppedit

I've always like the St. Croix SCII blanks. I use this one for jigging cod and pollack in 250' + water. Nice light blank plenty of back bone for turning grouper and snapper. Come in different lengths and line ratings.

http://www.mudhole.com/2M80XHF

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

handi2

I use Pinnacle Marine spiral rods from John Volmer. You will find him on the Hull Truth forum. All of my trolling and other rods are from him. We have never broken any of his rods. I have at least 25 rods from him. Some are 9 years old and going strong.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

This one would have been a good choice:
https://www.fishandsave.com/products/54547/BareFoot-Rods-Captains-Choice-FB564060-Line-Wt:-40-60lb-5'6ft.-W/Titanium-Coated-Guides-&-Gimbel-Butt
I've been looking for another for some time now and no luck.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.