Started by ReelFishingProblems, July 29, 2018, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on July 29, 2018, 08:56:13 PM
Quote from: mikeysm on July 29, 2018, 03:25:10 PM
United composites Gusa Tilefish.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrods-UCUSA.htm

Mike

Looked at the Tilefish, they also sell the blank. Other than being an awesome rod, what makes UC better than some of the other brands in your opinion?

Nick

I have one with my 4.0 narrow on it and I was supprised how much this rod worked for me. You need to borrow one so you can see for yourself. Nothing like trying one on before you buy.

boon

If the majority of your fishing is not from headboats, something exotic like a JigStar Ninja ML or MH.
If you're generally crowded around a rail with 40 other fishermen, no idea :) Something lengthy...

doradoben

You built a very nice looking reel, and may want to consider a Calstar 765L.

ReelFishingProblems

I appreciate the suggestions. I now have a more focused set of search parameters.
Nick

thorhammer

Naw....now you get to choose layup, grips, guides, seat, wraps....marble or not, abalone shrink or not, hookkeeper, acid wrap or not, gimbal or knob...

SoCalAngler

You need to pull on rods/blanks side by side if you can to get a feel of whats right for you The already mentioned 765L makes a great 50 lb rod and could do 60 in a pinch. For 40 lb I like a 7' rod so a 700H should work for that test and can do 50 lb if needed.

You really need to figure out what topshot you will use most often on that reel to narrow down your choices.

For me reels come and go until I find something I really like but my rods stay with me much longer than the reels that have been mounted on them.

mo65

I can't help with rod advise...but I just wanted to say your reel looks fantastic. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ReelFishingProblems

John, you are right. The fun has really just begun. Love the acid wrap on the rod you built me, so I may try that. I just need to make sure I think through everything carefully to ensure I do it right.
I'm going to take my time on the rod for sure.

I do like the idea of pulling on the blanks,  but not sure if there's a place close to Tampa that has everything.

MudHole is a 2 hr drive and has Calstar blanks. Wife wants to take the kids to Disney and Universal Studios. Maybe I can line that up.

Mo, thanks for the kind words. It really is because of the talent on this site that our reels can look so beautiful. I took it into work to show a colleague and he laughed when I told him it was a 4/0. He asked which part! Also said it's too pretty to fish. Nothing's too pretty to fish! I think my wife is gorgeous and she looks even better Fishing! (Wonder if she'll ever read this?)

Donnyboat

John a picture would be good John. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Would be worth the drive if you can swing it. You could check out the components too. Nothing beats pulling on some to see what works best for you
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

I was in there a year ago Spring. Good way to lose all your money, like being a kid in a candy store. Good luck!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

sabaman1

The Calstar grafighter 700h would be a good choice if you fish 40-50 lb. Factory color wraps might also match very nicely with your handle knob?

Jim
JIM

SoCalAngler

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on August 02, 2018, 10:28:07 AM
John, you are right. The fun has really just begun. Love the acid wrap on the rod you built me, so I may try that. I just need to make sure I think through everything carefully to ensure I do it right.
I'm going to take my time on the rod for sure.

I do like the idea of pulling on the blanks,  but not sure if there's a place close to Tampa that has everything.

MudHole is a 2 hr drive and has Calstar blanks. Wife wants to take the kids to Disney and Universal Studios. Maybe I can line that up.

Mo, thanks for the kind words. It really is because of the talent on this site that our reels can look so beautiful. I took it into work to show a colleague and he laughed when I told him it was a 4/0. He asked which part! Also said it's too pretty to fish. Nothing's too pretty to fish! I think my wife is gorgeous and she looks even better Fishing! (Wonder if she'll ever read this?)

If you go to Dizkneeland check out the Longfin tackle shop. It's not far from Disney I think less than 5 miles. The Longfin is a big tackle shop with many of the west coast manufactures there, Calstar, Seeker, Phenix and others. I don't think they carry United Composites though. It is a really good place to pull on rods side by side to get a feel for the different manufactures.