Smallest Penn?

Started by xjchad, August 01, 2018, 03:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Looking for a new ultralight spinning reel.
What's the smallest of any year?
What's the most durable?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

happyhooker

The 200 series from the '80s are small & light.  Graphite & made offshore.  The small ones don't have a whole lot of demand as far as I know, but some of the bigger ones still get attention from steelheaders.  Not sure about parts availablility. Rear drag.

Frank

Brewcrafter

Not sure if it is the smallest, but I picked up a 4200SS graphite brand new in the 90's and it is still one of my favorite "goto" setups in freshwater.  Multiple spools, and holds about 165 yards of 4# mono.  One spool has Carbon drag and the other Teflon.  Love it!  Box and owners manual says "Made is USA" but for all I know, that may just mean the box and owners manual  ;D.  When I lived in SW Missouri it was seeing use 2-3 times/week.  Nowadays it gets used about as much as any of my other reels, which is to say, not enough!

Shark Hunter

420, 430ss, 716, 714, Z or greenie and don't forget the dam quick 110 or Microlite.
These are the best in my opinion, but also demand a premium price.
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on August 01, 2018, 03:01:28 AM
What's the most durable?

Looks like you've got the sizes covered pretty well...so on to that durability question. The boring truth is...they're all the most durable. These particular models...the 714/716 and 420/430 all have that indestructible worm gear design. Any one of these models will fish fantastic and handle loads larger than it was designed for. On these reels, the bronze/brass main gear will be the one to shred, the pinion is steel. Some models those mains are harder to source...same with the drag knobs. That's the only detraction.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Awesome, thanks for the great info as always!
I'd love one of those DAM Quick Microlites, but the seem to be going for more than my budget will allow.
I'll start looking for a 714 or 420.
Thanks!

Keta

I have a Penn BTLII 1000 that is small and lite.  It works well for bass, walleye and trout.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Love my 420's and 4300SS. can't say you really 420 metal body for 4-6 lb test but you cant kill it either...I'd prefer them over Z for skirted spool with fine lines. My 0.02. But the Microlites are awesome also.

George6308

Add the 720/722 with the Mystic 43-720 aluminum rotor block installed to the list of durable small  Penns. Great upgrade for these two model reels.
They are about the same size as the 714/430SS/4300SS.

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on August 01, 2018, 02:58:55 PM
I'd love one of those DAM Quick Microlites, but the seem to be going for more than my budget will allow.

I'd say you'll find a Micro for less than the Penns Chad...they are bringing crazy prices right now. 8)

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on August 01, 2018, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: xjchad on August 01, 2018, 02:58:55 PM

I'd say you'll find a Micro for less than the Penns Chad...they are bringing crazy prices right now. 8)

I was just looking and noticing that.  As much as I love Penns, I'm also really happy with my Heddon so far and think I'll have to go for the DAM Microlite.  The search is on!!  ;D

Alto Mare

Chad, the guys are giving good advice.
The ss will feel a bit smoother than the other models mentioned, but all are good choice.
If you take your time you could find s nice 420ss , or 430ss for $80, but stay away from the new ones, there getting up there and won't surprise me if some new ones will hit $300.
I sold one two months ago for $255 and he was extremely happy.
If you never opened one of these little guys, here is an idea on what they look like
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13961.msg141982#msg141982
George mentioned the 720&722 as well, those have aluminum main gears, but still very capable for their size.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

For Microlite or Ultralite spinners — there are hundreds of options.

And most all will do a capable job on your target species — even those with alloy gears and Tupperware bodies...

I really enjoy Microlite spinners due to our 100's of close mountain lakes and streams.

What I expect in a ML spinner is:

Worm drive with steel and bronze gearing, aluminum body & rotor, 1:5 ratio, good and simple appearance, and the biggie for me:

Where we fish, there is always the chance and hope of hooking a very large trout or bass.  The reel must be capable of bringing in a 12 pound Brown, Alpers Rainbow, or a Hawg Bass — on those rare occasions.

I have a personal arsenal of 50 different Microlites that I use.

3 of my favorites are the Penn 716, Cardinal 3, and the DAM Quick 265 Microlite.

There are plenty of others that will do a decent job — but these are all 100 percenters.

Lastly, find a good quality fiberglass rod such as a Fenwick, Eagle Claw, WonderRod, UglyStik, etc..in 5' to 6' length — this is as important as the reel, if not more so — for playing and landing your catch successfully.

The drags on these are not as important as the solid components and a decent old school rod.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

xjchad

Thanks for all the help guys!
I found a 714z on the 'bay.  Made an offer and got it for $40 shipped.
I was doing this on my phone and it looked great, but now after seeing the pics larger on my computer it's a bit rough looking.
Oh well, as long as it functions properly I'm happy  :)
Should see it in a few days to find out...

mo65

Quote from: xjchad on August 02, 2018, 04:11:08 PM
I was doing this on my phone and it looked great, but now after seeing the pics larger on my computer it's a bit rough looking.

Don't worry about the paint Chad...Z series reels are pretty easy to repaint. The real problem lies in parts...not only inflated prices but availability. I asked if anyone had a #52-714 drag knob to sell a few months ago and the room fell silent. Had to wait a week or so for one to pop on fleabay. I did keep the cracked one though, and epoxied it, who knows how hard it can be screwed down...I'm scared to try...HA! 8)