St croik corp rods

Started by Donnyboat, August 02, 2018, 12:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi everyone, hope your all catching fish & keeping well, I recently brought a Penn Senator 12/0 in Australia for $AU 170.00 delivered home, restoring it now, but the owner also had a rod that it was mounted on, St, croik corp then a emblem, & after the emblem, Park Fall, WIS. could this be a vintage rod that hold any value, large enough to handle a 12/0, it is a dark colour with yellow trim,  thanks & cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Don, without seeing it at all I would hold onto any St Croix, certainly a big game size. let's see pics!!

John

happyhooker

St. Croix is still in business in Wisconsin, so that rod could be new or old.  They once were in Minnesota, but moved.

Frank

Donnyboat

thanks for you quick replies men, the only photos I have are what the seller has sent me, which is very Limmited, I have tried to post pictures many times on the forum since I brought this new computer, the computer just does not follow the come, I will try to dig up your personal emails & forward photos on, thanks for your trouble, would you both have any idea of what a ST croix rod big enough for a 12/0 would cost, maybe if they mooved from Minisota to Wis, then it could be a later model, thanks & cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

mhc

Hi Don, If you like, you can email them to me and I'll post them here for you.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mhc

Photos from Don.

oc1

Look for the union label.  Do you U.S. guys remember that tune and TV commercial?  The commercial came out in the 1970's when outsourcing to overseas manufacturers was rapidly escallating and things were not looking too good for unions.  St. Croix was unionized and part of the Paper Workers Union so they began putting their union label on their rods.  It can be seen in the photo above but you will need magnification to read it.  It was a thing only in the 1970's so that helps date the rod.  I have a couple of them but the damned computer just broke and I can't get to my photos and old email right now.

Donny, there should be a model number there too.  You can email St. Croix with the model number and they will reply with the rod specs and a more exact date.  They have great customer service and are really nice about it.

Like they say.... the world's best fishing rods.  Nice reel there too.  Lots of hard-earned character

-steve

mhc

Don has already bought the 12/0 separately (and cleaned it up - see photo)
Good job Don, it looks pretty good.
Mike

Donnyboat

Thanks Mike for placing the photos in this post for me, & Steve thank you for your good info, your both true Ohana`s, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Don, the 12/0 looks amazing! Nice recover! Good look with the rod; keep us informed!

John

Alto Mare

Very nice pair Don, If I didn't know I wouldn't think it wasn't the same reel...great job!
I don't have much knowledge on St Croix rods, but did have one.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2493.msg15855#msg15855
It's the one in front holding a 16/0.
I remember being an unlimited class and made in the USA, Fl, I think.
Someone mentioned mid 60's at the time, but I wasn't sure.

I paid $250 for it and it was in amazing condition, probably never fished.
I sold it a  while back and it still bothers me.

I believe you did really good, you just about only paid for the rod.

Enjoy it Don!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Thanks John & Sal, just hold your breath, the seller has told me, he wants AU$50.00 for the rod, it looks like costing me another $40.00 postage, he is looking into it for me now, so AU $ 90.00 is about $60.00 American,  thanks everyone for all your good info & help, I will organize photos when I get it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi every one, some more info on the St croix rod, the seller has found some more details on it, KE  80  R 6` 80Lbs, I have contacted the St Croix rod factory, they are trying to be helpful, butt not finding any history, of these details, hopefully some one here, maybe able to add, some thing, thanks & cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Looks 70s vintage with Varmac RS5H real seat, makes sense for an 80lb class rod.
It most likely has old schlool chrome Mildrum Roller guides.
Buy the rod!! If you dont, I want it! LOL
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

droppedit

Quote from: 1badf350 on August 08, 2018, 11:55:40 PM
Buy the rod!! If you dont, I want it! LOL

lol, you remind me of someone else here I know. See you next week!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com