St croik corp rods

Started by Donnyboat, August 02, 2018, 12:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

I would leave it just as it is. I see no reason to do anything. Yes it would reduce its value (at least in my opinion) They're only original once.....
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Donnyboat

Thanks Chris, yes I take your point, I do want to keep it original as possible, & Mike, My turd does not get much priority since we installed artificial turf, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Very nice St. Croix, Don. An oldie but goodie. A definite keeper.
If I'm not mistaken, the St. Croix, is a river on border of the States of Minnesota & Wisconsin.
I got this'n about 10 yrs. ago. My absolute-best non-flyrod pole and made in the USA to boot! It' a 6'-6" med.-heavy freshwater rod. You got me wonderin about St. Croix's saltwater stuff now...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

After breaking a bunch of Rain Shadow UL graphite blanks I started spending the few extra bucks for St.Croix and have not had another problem.  They do a better job of balancing their factory-built rods too.
-steve

Donnyboat

thanks Greg & Steve, I contacted David Fischer of ST Croix rods, he has looked through some old catalouge, for me , he quotes, in the 1975 edition there is mention of the KONA rod, know photo, David also checked through the 1974 & 76 books but did not find anymore info, So the KONA was made in 1975 or earlier, by the way Greg, did you tell the story of your resent purchase of your Alvey reel, if so I must have mist it, I also see a st Croix 2 peice surf rod for sale in Queensland Australia, today, graghyte for AU $ 429.00 I think it was, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Backed-up a bit lately Don. Some fishin. Work. Posted a comparison on the stock original Jigmasters vs the HS models, that took awhile. Some other small stuff to do, but, no work for 4 days! Already got the pictures and tomorrow AM is in the plan-Stan. Check the Ohana section.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Okay all you big game rod fishos, I have the roller tip dismantled & the other set of rollers, I have cleaned them in 50/50 mix, then honed the centre of rollers, then smoothed them with 1200 wet & dry cloth, then 2000, now I am about to place them back together, the question is, If I wish to uses the rod from the beach, do I flood every roller with grease to keep the sand out, then clean them when I get home, or do I grease or oil lightly, & totally dismantle them to keep them in good order, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Ok heres what you do.
Lightly coat all parts with WD40.
Once you have it re-assembled go to home Depot and Find some nice wall anchors, decorative wooden pegs or something.
Pick a nice clean spot on a wall
Make two pencil marks about 4' apart and centered
Check for level
Drill a hole slightly smaller than drywall anchor
Insert said drywall anchor
Screw wooden peg into this anchor
Place rod on pegs with rollers facing up
Stand back and admire your nice rod display

Your ONLY OTHER option is to PM me your paypal address and price
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Donnyboat

Thanks Chris that sounds Like a good idea, wont get grease & crap all over me that way, but knowing my luck, when I drill the holes I will go straight through the electric wiring, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

-Chris

mhc

Here's a few photos of Don's St Croix rod with the 12/0 mounted.
Looks good Don - you're getting an arsenal of big penns together.
Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

That looks gorgeous Don, enjoy it!.  Great job on the cleaning as well.

Mike, thanks for posting these for us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

1badf350

-Chris

Donnyboat

Thanks for posting this lot of photos Mike, & thanks Sal & Chris, the rod is coming up good, I still have to sand the but down & re varnish it, & I might just place some clear varnish, on some of the thread, that is a bit tattered, not real bad though, the lady on the left of the photo, is My grand daughter Kate, holding the 14/0 on the bent but rod that I brought for AU $150.00, & the 10/0 , & the Asian lady is Ayaka, is holding Pats Diawa 1000 electric reel, & the 12/0 with the St Croix kona rod in her left hand, the chrome has come up quite shiney on the St croix rod, I have not polished it yet, Ayaka stayed @ Kates place about 8 years ago, when she was over hear learning English, for 12 months, they are both 24 now, every one keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

Leave the butt as is or use Citri-strip from Home Depot.
Don't sand it. You'll end up removing too much material.
-Chris