Underhead 501 jigmaster

Started by mhc, August 03, 2018, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Wow Mike, you have created a reel like no other as I sit here in amazement drooling at the Underhead jigmaster. Your attention to detail is 2nd to none. I love that pewter color along with the darkened screws too !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

basto

Congratulations Mike on what is a legendary accomplishment.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Rothmar2

That's beautiful! Nice thought with the stainless screws. Be very careful if you ever take it fishing, because this reel is a true work of art on so many levels.

mo65

You're in a class by yourself Mike...such impressive work. I would blow people's minds if I showed up at the dam packin' that beast! Congrats on creating a masterpiece. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Yes Mike Mo, masterpiece alright, maybe photo of the month, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Captain64-200

Fantastic work , this color is beautiful and does'nt distract much from the perfect design .
Fred from Biarritz ,

Alto Mare

Mike, you probably will take that reel for a test run, just make sure it has a safety line to it🙂.
As I've mentioned above, that masterpiece is priceless.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

I agree with Steve and Dom - absolutely stellar 'factory quality' work Mike.
Congratulations and thanks for taking us all along for the ride!
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mhc

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I appreciate the encouragement. It's been 12 months since I started the underhead project and I've learnt a lot along the way - I'm pretty happy with the fourth and probably final attempt.

Quote from: Rothmar2 on July 13, 2019, 09:19:50 PM
Be very careful if you ever take it fishing, because this reel is a true work of art on so many levels.
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 14, 2019, 12:13:52 PM
Mike, you probably will take that reel for a test run, just make sure it has a safety line to it🙂.
Sal

I do intend to use the reel but hadn't thought much about securing it - a lanyard sounds like a good idea.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

When you start adding up the hours that went into it, that may be the most valuable reel ever discussed here.  Fishing it just to say it's possible is one thing but it should be preserved for posterity.  Maybe you should keep a hard copy of this thread as provenance.

But, now that you've cracked all the nuts, what's next???
-steve

mhc

I haven't decided what's next Steve, I've got a couple of 'blemished' Cortez jigmaster side plates that Tom sent over to experiment with as well as the Maxed Out 113H parts Ted sent - so probably another jigmaster (overhead  :)) or a 113H of some description.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oldmanjoe

I don`t know how i missed this thread all these years , but i am going back for a slow read ...
    Lots of jig engineering going on .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare