Underhead 501 jigmaster

Started by mhc, August 03, 2018, 01:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Take 3.
I've made a start on an aluminium underhead frame. First step was to bend a piece of 6 x50 mm 6061 flat bar for the frame spacers and trim a piece of 40 x 40 mm square 6061 to length for the stand;

Next was to mark and drill some 6 mm and 12 mm holes to help with shaping the stand. For the full length 6mm chain drilling, to avoid breaking into the adjacent hole and pushing the bit offline, I first drilled a 5mm hole and then cleaned it out with a 6mm bit;

Lines marked for saw cuts to join the holes;

And cut with a hacksaw;

After cleaning up a bit with files and carbide burrs;

Next was to drill and tap the side plate holes;

Screw on rings and mark the material to be removed from the underside;

I used files and a 50mm drum sander for the underside, then file a taper on the ends of the feet and start shaping with files;

Cleaned up a bit more and ready to start finishing;

That's as far as I've progressed for now, hoping to wrap to up it next weekend.  :)

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

This is crazy talent Mike, you are showing us that possibilities on making custom parts are endless, especially when creating something as you did from a block of aluminum, using simple tools.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Mike this is seriously impressive 8)

sdlehr

Wow, Mike. I got a little lost going from the drilled block to the rough stand for a bit - excellent work, and I'm learning how to dream these things up like you do from watching your step-by-step. Impressive.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Rothmar2

Looking good, and am going to be excited to see the "finished" product. ;)

mhc

Thanks for the kind words guys but it looks more complicated than it is, anyone could do it if they had the time. Once you decide on the shape you want it's just a matter of working with the tools available to remove the waste as easily as possible. In this case a drill press was used to reduce the amount of hand sawing needed by chain drilling the sides of the stem with the smaller bits and using a 12mm bit to form the radius at the ends of the stem as well as help remove material.
Sid, here's a photo taken between drilling the holes and the rough stand that I hope explains the process a bit better. Most of the saw cuts had been made to join the drilled holes.

I'm looking forward to 'finishing' this as well Chris and hope it works out.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

conchydong

The work is awe inspiring. Amazing what can be done with simple tools, determination and impressive skill.

Scott

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

Quote from: mhc on January 29, 2019, 11:24:41 AM
Sid, here's a photo taken between drilling the holes and the rough stand that I hope explains the process a bit better. Most of the saw cuts had been made to join the drilled holes.
Thanks, MIke, I get it, it's like sculpting rock, you take away what's not part of the final product. But it takes a vision I haven't yet developed, but seeing what you've done I have a good idea what's going on in your head now when you see a block of aluminum. You're Michaelangelo with metals. Metallic Michaelangelo. Catchy!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

Sid, I'm with you.  I have lots of mechanical ability, butt no artistic ability.  I can picture in my mind an end product butt have no concept on how to remove the parts that don't belong.  I say you are right Michaelangelo is correct. 

A little off subject, I went to a museum in Florence that has loads of statues that were mistakes.  Many were by Michaelangelo.  The museum contained a piata that was misconfigured.  It was interesting.  In some way it was more interesting then the completed statues.  One could see where the sculpture went wrong.  For example an arm that was too short or too much material was removed at the knee joint.  Things like that.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Imagine working on a multi-tonne block of alabaster for months (or even years), then realising you've made an arm too short or removed too much material from a knee joint!  :o :'(
We're heading to Italy later this year and will have to put the Florentine museum on the list - it sounds fascinating!
Thanks Dominick.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

basto

You are doing some very interesting work Mike. I love the precision you put into the finishing. Beautiful work!!!
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Donnyboat

Hi Mike, you have great foresight man, looking forward to the end result, & I bet you are to, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Quote from: redsetta on January 29, 2019, 07:56:25 PM
Imagine working on a multi-tonne block of alabaster for months (or even years), then realising you've made an arm too short or removed too much material from a knee joint!  :o :'(
We're heading to Italy later this year and will have to put the Florentine museum on the list - it sounds fascinating!
Thanks Dominick.
Justin

I wish I could remember the name.  I tried Googling it but I struck out.  I did learn that there is a Leonard Di Vinci museum that from the website looks fascinating.  Check it out.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer