Rose Monofil 27 Parts Reel

Started by Porthos, August 04, 2018, 04:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porthos

My existing Rose 27 (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15627.0) started developing cracks in the bakelite plates over two years ago, so I've been running with Maroon 26 plates since.

Went on to the big auction site last week, ran thorough my saved searches, and a ROSE Monofil 27 in Santa Rosa, CA, came up with a $20 starting bid. Anytime one of these start at $30 or under, I put in the starting bid and let it ride. The right side pics were on dark side but they were good enough to show it was "ROSE"; the left side pics were brighter and confirmed the same. Grimy, and all the external metal had the usual crusty green corrosion...a reel fished in SW and then left in the garage for who knows how many years.

So after years of being outbid on ROSE 27's, this time no one else bit. $30 total after $10 shipping.

Arrived this afternoon...disassembled, inspected, and wiped it of some of the grime. The reel yielded two side plates in very good condition with no visible cracks...and a STEEL 5-155 (this would have cost me another $8 from the auction site). All the other parts went into a spares bag.

So $30 for two serviceable ROSE side plates AND a STEEL main gear: A good score in my book...and exactly what was needed to get a Rose 27 back into service with stronger parts than its previous config with a brass 5-155.

Alto Mare

You did good Wai, I got 3 colors, but no rose.
Post a pic when you assemble it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Those should clean up nicely, well worth the $30. Did they ever make a rose colored spool for a 27 too?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Porthos

Quote from: Swami805 on August 04, 2018, 03:26:25 PM
Those should clean up nicely, well worth the $30. Did they ever make a rose colored spool for a 27 too?

Yes. It's on the 27 that's sitting on the shelf.

mo65

Hi Porthos, love your work with the 27...it's a great little reel...so light. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Porthos

Quote from: mo65 on August 04, 2018, 07:14:39 PM
Hi Porthos, love your work with the 27...it's a great little reel...so light. 8)

Thanks Mo. It all started 7+ years ago when something in the back of my mind said

"Don't become an Avet SX fanboy, take the road less traveled by..."

thorhammer

Good score Wai. monofils somehow have never made it into my collection.

John

wfjord

The monofils always catch my eye, but I don't know much them.  Do they have a true freespool or are they like the 109s with the direct drive when casting?

Porthos

Quote from: wfjord on August 06, 2018, 06:21:32 PM
The monofils always catch my eye, but I don't know much them.  Do they have a true freespool or are they like the 109s with the direct drive when casting?

The Baymaster 180, Monofils, and Beachmasters are all related true freespool reels.

Porthos

The final piece of this project arrived in the mail today. After having inspected the plates, i sent Lee an email for one of his stainless steel 15-155 dogs. Little did I know that it had reached "unobtainium" status when Lee's inventory went AWOL after a workshed re-org. In the end, Lee sent me one taken out from one of his own reels! So I'm very grateful to the ever generous Mr. Lee Putman!

The parts laid out; those coming out are on the left; those going in are on the right:

The second delrin will between the last metal washer and the first belleville.

The under gear delrin placement:

The steel main gear goes in next:

After the drag stack was reassembled, the stainless steel dog and spring go in:

My first rose 27 was a gift from a friend back in 2009. It is now restored to the state I received it in with only the addition of the orange-red balanced handle, and it resides on a shelf in the office. Here it is side by side to the new Rose 27 "Franken-reel":

Just from the photos, it is not overly apparent that the Franken-reel is a 40lb capable reel versus the original 15lb rating in factory config.  

The stack on the "new" 27 may be too high since it has a bit of tightness with the star backed off all the way; the second delrin may need to come out. Otherwise, it is ready for this year's 8-Day SOA charter.

Again, my thanks to Lee for the SS 15-155 dog!

thorhammer

Wai, great work on something we don't see often!

John

Reel 224

Very very nice work!..............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mo65

I love it...a hot rod to fish...and a stocker for the shelf. It don't get better! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~