Clicker rubbing in freespool?

Started by sinkerswim, August 15, 2011, 02:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

My friend asked me to look at his morrum 6600. He said the clicker faintly engaged when the reel is in freespool and line is paying out. It doesn't happen every time. But, definitely frequent enough to slow the spool down when casting and inhibits distance. Also, he says the noise, even though it isn't loud, is rather annoying. Being it hasn't done this till recently. So, he knows something isn't right.

I tore it apart piece by piece, lubed then reassembled and it didn't happen for me. Well, he fished this reel Saturday and says it is happening again. :o

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? All the nylon gears as well as the levelwind assembly are in very good and now clean condition. The clicker assembly is in fine shape as well. No wear. Before I open it up again. I'd like to hear from the pros.

Thank You!

redsetta

G'day sinkerswim,
I came across the same problem recently in an Avet MX.
The alloy around the clicker had worn over time, so it sat a fraction lower in the side plate and faintly engaged in free spool.
It seems likely that you'll need to replace the clicker assembly - part number 23244.
A schematic is here if it helps: http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/MORRUM6600CL%200700.pdf
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

sinkerswim

Thanks Justin,

Interesting take on this baffler. Are you saying it was the tongue itself? Or, where it attached? With this reel the entire clicker assembly needs to be purchased. Not a biggie, cost wise, but the shipping and handling really add up. Well, I'll inform my friend and tell him to get the reel back to me. Then try your suggestion. It is one nice reel and you couldn't get one for the price of the part that's for sure.

Thanks!

redsetta

Well, it seems possible at least.  ;)
The clicker tongue on the Morrum moves back and forth through a small gap between (what I believe are) nylon pivots that may have worn slightly over time, meaning that the tongue sits a fraction lower and now touches the clicker gear.

Either that or the springs have lost some tension, with the same result.
It may not need to be replaced, but it's probably worth having a look at...
All the best, Justin

alantani

here is the full schematic.  http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_Morrum_6600_CL_07_01.pdf

hey, justin, how did you paste in a blow up like that?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

G'day Alan,
I'm using Foxit Reader (free software available here: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/), but the following process should be the same for all PDF viewers.
1. Open the PDF (full screen) and use the 'magnifying glass' tool to focus on the part.
2. Select the 'camera' tool and use the mouse to select the area to photograph. Once it's selected in blue, it'll be stored automatically on your 'clipboard'.
3. Open the Paint program (in the 'Accessories' folder, under 'All programs'), hold down 'Ctrl' and hit 'v' - this will paste the image into the window.
4. Save as a file name and you're done... You can also add arrows etc while it's open in Paint.
Hope that helps.
All the best, Justin

JGB

Justin,

Since your already considering replacing the clicker assembly you might give this a go.
Another trick is to swap the arms so the unworn portion of the arms contact the clicker pawl. If that does not work
Try bending the clicker arms down slightly (making them slightly closer together). The pawl should snap back firmly when the button is moved to the silent position. If the arms are plastic you may have to gently heat before bending (hot water).

Loosen the screws and  push the assembly away from the center and re tighten to move the assembly at it's farthest possible position.

Good Luck,
Jim N.

sinkerswim

Justin, nothing vague there, your explanation is spot on. Schematic link, part numbers and picture. NICE! ;D

Alan, I too was impressed with the detailed blow up from the schematic. Now that's detail!

Jim N., great ideas you forwarded. Some possible money savers there! Will give it a whirl.

Boy oh boy. Sure is comforting to know I came to the right place to ask the question.

Can't thank you enough guys.

alantani

sorry about the threadkack, but i've gotta learn how to do that!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!