Cedros Sport Fishing, September 2-6, 2019

Started by alantani, August 07, 2018, 02:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

Cedros island looks like a great place. Too bad the fish did not cooperate for you guys this time. I need to get down there one of these years.

Smols

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on September 12, 2019, 11:52:39 AM
The small piece of grouper I had got rolled in Panko and pan fried in olive oil and butter for my wife, she does not eat ceviche, and I tried it....IT WAS DELICIOUS!

that kind of publicity is not good for the groupers !!

The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

I would not say that the fish did not cooperate; they did just not cooperate on the scale that they did last year. Every one came home with a cooler full of fish. We just did not catch as many YT as last year but everyone got into fish. Last year it was a slow troll with bait that hammered them. This year I caught  more on the surface iron which was really cool. I'm not sure about the other guys but I like chasing different species of fish especially after the morning bite is over ........................... you never know what you will catch with a live bait on the bottom.

No naps for me and I was one of the "party crowd" that stayed up past 9 pm !!!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Imagine that, the Canook stayed up late! I bet the Mook was right there withyou?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Marc Fong on September 11, 2019, 10:41:40 PM
So far I've seared the Whitefish and served it with a Mango Salsa; Yellowtail Sashimi; and seared Yellowtail with a  brown butter lemon sauce. Any recommendations for the Grouper?

I like a lot of my fish grilled on the BBQ. Just baste with lemon or lime garlic butter before placing on the grill and a few times while cooking.

MarkT

No one mentioned the flood!  The input line to the water pump came loose one evening after most people were in bed and all the water for the complex drained out on the floor of the store room next to the Casitas.  We couldn't find the shutoff valve until all the water was gone. It was a couple of inches deep so up to the top of Richards ankles!  We used brooms to get all the water out.  We had to use buckets of water to flush the toilets the next morning until they could get a water delivery to fill the cistern back up again.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

scrinch

Quote from: Hardy Boy on September 12, 2019, 04:03:18 PM
I would not say that the fish did not cooperate; they did just not cooperate on the scale that they did last year. Every one came home with a cooler full of fish. We just did not catch as many YT as last year but everyone got into fish. Last year it was a slow troll with bait that hammered them. This year I caught  more on the surface iron which was really cool. I'm not sure about the other guys but I like chasing different species of fish especially after the morning bite is over ........................... you never know what you will catch with a live bait on the bottom.

No naps for me and I was one of the "party crowd" that stayed up past 9 pm !!!

Cheers:

Todd

Yeah, it was only the yellowtail that didn't cooperate to last year's level. I caught more calicos this year than last, and RichK and I limited on nice grade sheepshead one afternoon after we gave up on the yellowtail. And Pete caught a nice WSB, and Mook caught a hefty BSB, in addition to a few groupers. So overall the fishing was okay, just not as many yellowtail as we got used to last year. The pangueros said that it was unusual for the YT to shut down like that at this time of year, so I expect that next year will be back up to par.

steelfish

Quote from: scrinch on September 12, 2019, 05:42:01 PM
The pangueros said that it was unusual for the YT to shut down like that at this time of year, so I expect that next year will be back up to par.

way up north in the Cortez Sea, Gonzaga Bay area, the YT was pretty slow this year and I mean slow, many friend had to change the  fishing grounds 3hrs more south to "Bay los Angeles" to fish for YT, hopefully it was only a one-year-thing and they come back as usual next season which start in late nov or early dec.
The Baja Guy

alantani

the group out yesterday was limited out.  looks like we were off by a week.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hardy Boy

A comment on the fish:

- steamed up some of the sheeps head for fish cakes which were great !!< and then made a sandwich with the left over flakes and I have to say that Mook was right !; it tastes like lobster !! Very good. I will have to target  some of those again this year again. Picture attached .................. I don't know who is uglier !

- on the calico bass ; wow are they ever good which is not surprising as they are in the "grouper" family. They are my wife's favorite fish from Mexico. Seared or breaded wow !....................... sorry Mark but a few of those will be making the migration to Canada again this year (no big ones though !) .

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Bill B

Hi Alan, this is Lee, Bill's better half😆, That was an Awesome overview of the trip made me even consider setting Bill up for it next time just so I could tag along! Fabulous job I really do appreciate all the time you put in to fine tuning each and every trip, such wonderful memories your helping create! You make spending the time & money sooo worth it💝 thanks Alan, Lee Barella🙂
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Those Sheepshead are some of the best tasting fish I've ever had from the Calie coast.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!