Surfcasting for Cabezon

Started by the rockfish ninja, August 11, 2018, 06:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

For those of you that live in other parts of the world, the Cabezon is a sought after Sculpin of the north Pacific for it's flavorful meat and excellent texture. In the same way Monkfish is prized and compared to Lobster, the Cabezon is our equal (*better IMHO).

This is my personal best (*from shore*) and at 20" 5 lbs it may not be a glamorous catch by gamefish standards, but the flavor makes up for it's ugly looks and less than exciting stature. Considering they're usually caught from a boat at about 100-200ft down, and I had to horse this guy thru the kelp and over the rocks, I think I did OK.

Avet SXJ MC
Daiwa 10ft surf rod
freshly caught JackSmelt for bait
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

xjchad

Congrats on a great catch!
Beautiful fish and that looks like such fun fishing!
What rod is that?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

bhale1

Congrats on your PB from shore! Now we know why your the "rockfish ninja" ;D.
Brett

Swami805

Nice cabby, those are delicious!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: xjchad on August 11, 2018, 01:21:52 PM
Congrats on a great catch!
Beautiful fish and that looks like such fun fishing!
What rod is that?

Daiwa Emcast surf, the original version of what they put out right now under that name.
The version they put out now is nice but has a much more flexible tip, the older is much more stiff and fast which is better suited for fast hook sets to prevent these shore reef fish from going back in their hole and breaking you off.

Fishy247

Nice cabbie! Were you using that smelt live, dead or cut up?

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Fishy247 on August 11, 2018, 06:19:23 PM
Nice cabbie! Were you using that smelt live, dead or cut up?

Dead/whole.

MadChad

Nice catch, very seldom do we get onto a keeper.

Gfish

Awesome! As you say very good eatin.

Got one a bit smaller once, surf/rock fishin in Monterey. My Chinese ma-in-law freaked a bit when she saw the blue flesh, askin my wife if I'd washed it in Dawn dish detergent! She cooked it whole with the head,  sans guts, and we were diggin in at the dinner table when an conservative family friend came over to find me. The friend really freaked, lookin at the head we were about eat! A yelp of surprise and disgust and she Left oudda there in a hurry! I laughed to point where I could barely eat. That was indeed a fun fish to get in more ways than one.

I think they come into shallow water inthe summer months.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

whalebreath

Rarely seen one taken shallow in BC they are deep rock dwellers although few people fish beaches here so who knows.

Gfish

Got a big'n off a jetty in Washington State once when I's a kid,  didn't know what it was, thought it might be poisonous, tossed it back. Got a bunch on a bottom-fish trip once (I think everyone got at least one), as I recall it was in the Spring though, fishin 50 to 70ft. deep. Definitely not common in shallow water.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: bhale1 on August 11, 2018, 01:58:52 PM
Brett

.... those aren't swords ... they're surf rods. ;D

Fishy247

Quote.... those aren't swords ... they're surf rods. Grin

Awesome..... :D

swill88

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on August 11, 2018, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: bhale1 on August 11, 2018, 01:58:52 PM
Brett

.... those aren't swords ... they're surf rods. ;D

That beach looks familiar!   Now I know your spot. :D
steve

theswimmer

Quote from: MadChad on August 11, 2018, 06:57:40 PM
Nice catch, very seldom do we get onto a keeper.

You need to go out with us on the Endeavor , out of Morro Bay .
I catch at least one or two cabby every trip. Better than Ling IMO.
Guys will be throwing back Cabs  ,  I'm taking them.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn