Penn Forged Spool

Started by Maxed Out, August 13, 2018, 04:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

I believe it was early 1970's when Penn proudly added a "forged" aluminum spool to a few of the models

My question is what exactly does "forged" spool mean and what is the difference between forged or turned on a lathe ??

Nowadays all the spools are made on computer controlled cnc lathe. Back in the 70's that wasn't an option.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

MarkT

Forged is better than machined or cast.  The grain structure of the metal is maintained with forging.  Cut through with machining and doesn't really exist with casting.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rippin_lips

Quote from: MarkT on August 13, 2018, 05:20:47 PM
Forged is better than machined or cast.  The grain structure of the metal is maintained with forging.  Cut through with machining and doesn't really exist with casting.

That's not really how it works.  I won't bore everyone, but all methods have benefits and draw backs.  All can be used successfully to achieve the intended results.   

rippin_lips

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 13, 2018, 04:18:08 PM

I believe it was early 1970's when Penn proudly added a "forged" aluminum spool to a few of the models

My question is what exactly does "forged" spool mean and what is the difference between forged or turned on a lathe ??

Nowadays all the spools are made on computer controlled cnc lathe. Back in the 70's that wasn't an option.

"Forged" means it is forced into a shape.  This can be done with a hammer, or a press and die can be used.  A lathe is a form of machining where metal is removed to create the final shape.

Swami805

Is there a difference between forged and dropped forged?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

rippin_lips

Quote from: Swami805 on August 13, 2018, 09:56:11 PM
Is there a difference between forged and dropped forged?

That is a type of forging.  You can hit something, squeeze something, or drop something onto it until you get the shape desired.  You force it into the shape you want.