True Temper 113D

Started by Capnbob, August 14, 2018, 02:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capnbob

Got one in great shape,  Any tutorials on takedown, clean, rebuild , drag updates, etc???

alantani

it's a ocean city, right?  someone did a write up.  stand by.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Capnbob

I think its an ocean city.  How would i confirm it?

oc1

It's an Ocean City, Bay City model with knock-down clutch.  Fairly to similar to the one in this schematic:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21015.0
If you can work on a Penn you'll be able to do this one too.  The knock-down clutch is actually easier than a clutch lever.  Smooth Drag probably has drag washers that will fit.  use their measurement chart.  Take photos as you go along.
-steve

edit: Sorry Capn, we posted on top of each other.

Capnbob

do penn drag disks fit it?

Capnbob

Just opened the drag pack on this old True Temper 113. The reel has seen little to no use...looks brand new with absolutely no signs of wear..... It appears to be an all metal drag system with the brass disks keyed and the dog eared steel disks not keyed on the drive shaft but into the gear.  anyone see a way i could order non metallic drag disks to beef this up just a bit? I noticed i can run the starwheel drag to stop.  Do these metal to metal systems get better as they warm up??  (expansion)

looking for thoughts/ideas on how to beef up drag just a bit.

I am attaching photo so you can see what im looking at.

Gfish

I think the drag material washers (probably asbestos) are missing...? If it's True Temper it'd probably be from the 50's or latter.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Yup no drag washers. Look at smoooth drag and see if they have some that fit
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Capnbob

Well you guys might be right, but the stack looked full up when removed from reel.  I dont see how more drag disks are gonna fit in there???  Things that make ya go humm???

foakes

Hi Bob —

The original fiber type drags have been removed and substituted with all metal ones..

I have a few NOS drag washers for OC and TT.  They are a a hard brake pad type of material that is impregnated with bits of brass...

The shreds of brass mixed into "brake lining type" friction material may "help" transfer heat in drags. In brakes it makes disc brake pads 'harder' & able to withstand higher pressures & temps longer, providing more stopping power & extending pad life.

You can just replace 2 or 3 of the metal non-eared washers with Cal's Greased CF, or similar — and you will get superior performance.  You will just need to play around a bit with the order and stack height for proper adjustment.  The metal discs can also be flat-lapped a little thinner for more room.

Ocean City was bought out by True Temper in 1968 — in turn True Temper discontinued their fishing division in the late 70's.

These old OC's are pretty much bulletproof — and they can be used past our lifetimes if maintained and serviced.  

Lots of good things came out of Philadelphia over the decades in regards to fishing tackle.

Penn & Ocean City.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Capnbob

Thanks Fred!

Cal's greased CF......steer me to this source...i assume CF is carbon fiber.   thanks again!  great explanation!

foakes

Just get in touch with "Dawn" (SmoothDrag on our site).

She offers both drags and Cal's drag grease in small doses or larger.

Lightning quick shipping at very reasonable product pricing.

She is excellent with her business.  No drama — just experience and results.

Order a few extra discs so that you can adjust as needed.

If we can help further, just let us know.

Good acquisition.  Look forward to seeing some pics of it in action.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

The reel should take Penn's 6-155 HT-100 carbon washers.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

From the looks a the pic., you have 2-eared and 3-keyed metal washers. Possibly, you could get ridda one of each, then: gear, carbon fiber, keyed, cf, eared, cf and keyed. I think onea the former owners musta substituted those cool lookin brake lining washers Fred showed, with extra metal ones.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Capnbob

great input from all you guys!  You have to know I really appreciate the help!  Im on it now!!  Im looking forward to slapping a snapper or two "old school" style with this little baby!  🎣🎣