Fishing the Pflueger Templar 1420 1/2, etc...

Started by The Great Maudu, August 15, 2018, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I finally have the chance to get back to the Florida Panhandle for a lot of fishing. I love using the vintage reels and bamboo rods. One thing I hope to do is catch a shark with a Pflueger Templar. I selected one from my collection that is in good working order and came equipped with a factory power handle. This reel came with leather drag washers and while they seemed to work well, I went ahead and replaced them with NOS fiber washers that were included in the box. After a complete tear down, clean and grease, I used Cal's on the fiber washers before installing. This set up gave me a significant increase in the drag pressure. The Templar came equipped with a leather thumb drag to use in conjunction with the star drag. This sits atop a vintage H/I Blue Water split bamboo boat rod. The rod had two broken guides that needed replacing.  When testing guide placement under load, I decided to add an additional guide to keep the line well above the rod. This rod is labeled "Impregnated Tonkin Cane" like the famous Orvis fly rods. I'm going to be targeting 3'-5' sharks in the surf. I'll probably make a video for my YouTube channel showing the action. Below is a pic of this rig. Other vintage gear will include the Penn 16/0 reel and rod I caught a 14' Tiger Shark on last year as well as a Pflueger Capital 1885 surf reel. More to follow...

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Reel 224

I love the way the grips are integrated with that rod, beautiful workmanship!........................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 15, 2018, 03:01:45 PM
I love the way the grips are integrated with that rod, beautiful workmanship!........................Joe

Joe, it does look nice. However, when a wooden forgrip gets wet it becomes impossible to control the rod. I am going to wind the grip with grip tape and that should help. Once I get down there I'll post some more pics. Shark Hunter I will give you a full report on conditions in case you're coming down soon.

Reel 224

Mike: If you can find some shrink wrap to match the contour of the grip and cooler as close as possible it would be great. If not then find a cooler that sets off the rod and makes it pop.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

Nice rig Mike.  I think the Templars look better (love the star) and are made a little better than Penns..... if it were not for that cursed clutch spring.  I would have had to throw mine away were it not for help from Chad (cbar45) in this thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11396.0
-steve

The Great Maudu

I brought one of my Alvey reels mounted to an old split bamboo rod. I have never fished an Alvey so thought this trip would be a good opportunity. Learning to cast one of these without instructions would be very difficult. But a short you tube video showed me the secret. Easy as pie and distance is one of the things they are famous for. Now I just have to get a hook up. Here are a few pics.

Shark Hunter

Ugh! The Coffee Water!
It looks bad in Navarre too.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

Hey Brother, that brown water comes from an inshore dune lake when the tide goes out. This area, I believe is the only place on earth with these type lakes. Anyway, when the tide is in, it's that beautiful emerald green. Julia is catching nice size Blues on a spoon. We've kept a couple for bait. I'll keep you posted.

sdlehr

Mike, does the 1420-1/2 have the same drag washer layout as the 1419-3/4, one on each side of the main gear? Lookin' good, good luck fishing!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

The Great Maudu

Sid, it has the same arrangement. I would like to try a set of carbon fiber washers. Know where I might find some?

The Great Maudu

The 4.5 meter Vervelli rod certainly isn't vintage but, the Mitchell Nautil might be. Either way it's a great reel and color coordinates with the rod. The Italian firm which makes these awesome casters must have had a brain fart in their marketing Dept. Since I bought mine a couple years ago I think they have rebranded this model. Last night shark fishing from the beach with the pflueger 1420 1/2 I had a tremendous run. Did not get a hook up. I'm using circle hooks trying to be easier on the fish but, with sharks I've never had much lock. Anyway, hearing that Pflueger clicker for the first time under load, really got my blood racing. Tonight it's on again.

Shark Hunter

Wish I was there.
Enjoy your time on the sand. ;)
Life is Good!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are