Penn 146 Spool won’t engage

Started by ReelPatina, August 15, 2018, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelPatina

So I followed Alan's Penn 146 rebuild tutorial to the T , added Bryan's drag stack and  Cortez Conversions Ss gear sleeve, along with boca ceramic bearings . Used the 321 on the bearings, Cals on the drag, and yamalube blue marine grease throughout . Looks beautiful!!!

However, when you turn the handle the spool doesn't engage ( all the levers work etc.). Everything turns no strange noises etc, but no spool movement . The only thing I wasn't sure about when I reassembled the real was if the bearing covers were placed back in the real, which I did not do because it didn't appear they were used in Alan's tutorial.

Any ideas on what my issue is, possibly the bearing covers?

alantani

Pull the right side plate and see if the shoulders of the spool shaft on the right side drop into the pinion gear properly.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelPatina

Checked it, it fit. The pinion and the gear mesh and spin. If you hold the pinion and turn the handle the gear will spin , but it doesn't force the pinion to to spin. If you let go of the pinion and spin the handle the get will drive the pinion.  The slightest resistance and it doesn't force the pinion to spin but everything else will.

Fishy247

ReelPatina

Tightened or untightened , same result . It is as if the gear and pinion are free floating

foakes

Sounds like the last metal eared drag disc in the stack is not nested in the gear slots — the ears could be out causing little or no positive force.

???

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

If you just received the reel, there is a possibility you might have the wrong spool in there.
What letters do you see on the spool?... could you post a photo of it?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Is the pinion on the shaft backwards?
You can't test it with the right side plate removed because the pinion will bind.  The spool shaft has to be there to keep it aligned.
-steve

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 15, 2018, 08:36:38 PM
If you just received the reel, there is a possibility you might have the wrong spool in there.
What letters do you see on the spool?... could you post a photo of it?

Sal either that or the spool has to be shimmed on the none handle side..................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ReelPatina

Plastic spool and everything worked fine prior to the ss gear sleeve and drag upgrade

Reel 224

Quote from: ReelPatina on August 15, 2018, 09:15:10 PM
Plastic spool and everything worked fine prior to the ss gear sleeve and drag upgrade

A few pictures would help/ also keep in mind you have upgraded parts that some times don't mesh with old so if you can try another spool some times that works.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ReelPatina

Reel 224

Everything look rite to me, so I will hazard a guess and say it's got to be the spool not far enough to engage the pinyon which cold be a matter of putting spacers on the spool shaft on the none handle side.

Joe

RowdyW

It might be an optical illusion in the photo but it doesn't look like the pinion is extending out far enough to engage the spool.  It looks like the pinion is flush with the bridge or slightly below it in the engaged position. In the engaged position it should be slightly above the bridge plate.           Rudy