Penn 146 Spool won’t engage

Started by ReelPatina, August 15, 2018, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

I think it is Rudy but like you say it could be that the picture is squid a bit. You don't think it would help if the spacers were as I have described?

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sabaman1

Do you have the bridge screws in properly?
JIM

RowdyW

Joe, I don't think spacer shims will work. When he holds the pinion with his fingers it still doesn't work. It's got to be an assembly problem or a wrong part (spool or internal in the plate). But I'm really thinking that the problem is in the drag stack or above it. If you can't lock the gear sleeve to the main gear you can't turn the pinion gear.      Rudy

Reel 224

You think by eliminating some of the drag system or assembling the drag stack to make sure its stacked properly would be the rite aproch then?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RowdyW

I would have to see the entire drag stack laid out in order, including all the washers & spacer bushing all the way to the star wheel. If it's all assembled correctly then maybe the bridge & assembly is shifting out of alighnment on installation. I think Fred made that deduction also.         Rudy

oc1

When assembled, is the spool still centered in the frame?
-steve

mhc

Quote from: RowdyW on August 16, 2018, 03:23:08 AM
But I'm really thinking that the problem is in the drag stack or above it. If you can't lock the gear sleeve to the main gear you can't turn the pinion gear.      Rudy

I'm guessing Rudy and Joe are on the right track with the drag stack. The old sleeve spacer might be too short for the new drag stack - there isn't much travel room for the star on squidders and the star might be bottoming out on the side plate before it applies pressure on the drag stack. Maybe try adding one of the old keyed washers on top of the new stack to make the drag stack a bit taller and stop the star from bottoming out on the plate (that is if it is bottoming out)???

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

ReelPatina

Thank you to all who are throwing around ideas. I have  Bryan's drag stack . I will take pics of the drag stack for you guys later today.

Reel 224

Quote from: mhc on August 16, 2018, 08:06:36 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on August 16, 2018, 03:23:08 AM
But I'm really thinking that the problem is in the drag stack or above it. If you can't lock the gear sleeve to the main gear you can't turn the pinion gear.      Rudy

I'm guessing Rudy and Joe are on the right track with the drag stack. The old sleeve spacer might be too short for the new drag stack - there isn't much travel room for the star on squidders and the star might be bottoming out on the side plate before it applies pressure on the drag stack. Maybe try adding one of the old keyed washers on top of the new stack to make the drag stack a bit taller and stop the star from bottoming out on the plate (that is if it is bottoming out)???

Mike

Rudy is rite on with his idea. I don't want credit for his knowledge of the reel, but thanks.

Joe

mhc

Sorry Joe, I thought you had mentioned the drag set up as well, but looking back through the thread I see you were responding to Rudy's suggestion - it's all good, no one's looking for points we're all just trying to help get ReelPatina's 146 working with the upgrades.

Another quick question for ReelPatina - you mentioned you can hold the pinion to stop it turning while you turned the handle. Does the main gear stop turning while you do that test? If so, that would confirm there is a drag issue - not with Bryan's kits, they are a great and usually easy upgrade but like all drags, they need pressure to work.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

ReelPatina

Pic of the gear and drag stack. Also bryan's Dry washer under the get not pictured.

RowdyW

Everything in the drag stack looks like it is in the right order. When you reassemble it stack everything on the bridge includeing the spacer sleeve. Then wrap a rubber band around the end of the gear sleeve to keep everything tightly together. Reinstall the assembly that way & snug it down with the bridge screws. After it is assembled then you can remove the rubber band & install the rest of the parts (spring washers,star,etc.). The reason for the rubber band is to keep the top eared washer from moving out of the gear & the ears winding up on top of the gear & not giving you any drag. I believe that is where your problem is.            Rudy

ReelPatina

Issue resolved.... it was the drag stack and not enough pressure... added an extra keyed metal washer to the stack and now it working well.

I would like to thank everyone that chimed in and offered ideas!