Worth it?

Started by RamseyReelRepair, August 23, 2018, 02:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamseyReelRepair

Hey guys so I worked on an ambassadeur 7000c3 tonight and it's been a nightmare! I need a new Star drag which I did find through pure fishing but I also need a right side cover and it seems that it's no longer available and near impossible to find anywhere. So looking into ambassadeurs reel parts and seeing how many are NLA I wonder if maybe I should just not work on them anymore? Thoughts?

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Reel 224

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on August 23, 2018, 02:00:33 AM
Hey guys so I worked on an ambassadeur 7000c3 tonight and it's been a nightmare! I need a new Star drag which I did find through pure fishing but I also need a right side cover and it seems that it's no longer available and near impossible to find anywhere. So looking into ambassadeurs reel parts and seeing how many are NLA I wonder if maybe I should just not work on them anymore? Thoughts?

West

West: As you already know part accessibility is very important. You can ask guys here about hard to get Ambassador parts on there posts. I personally haven't worked on one, so I can not help with and advice. But someone will chime in that knows what he is talking about.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks Joe. The problem I'm facing is that this guy has 20 ambassadeurs he wants me to do but they are much more complicated then the Penn conventionals and the parts that you can find are pricey. I'm worried about undertaking something like that. He is a collector and is supposed to be bringing me a bunch on Friday but I feel like maybe I should call him and tell him that I'm not going to be able to work on them anymore.

West

West

Midway Tommy

Like most older reels, ABU parts can be tough to find. There are always some on the 'Bay but specific part availability varies. Here's a good place to check if you can't find what you need anywhere else: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-garcia-parts-c-187196.html?osCsid=af3017jdruuarkc6gd87t5vqo0 but they can be a little pricey. Your 7000 C3 star drag is available but not cheap.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Swami805

Just be honest with him, let him know where you're at with those reels and see if he's ok with you doing them. With all the abu's on the planet you're likely to see quite a few,might be good practice. As reels go they're not that complex.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reel 224

See what I told you West. ;) There plenty of help here just be patient and tell the customer he will have to patient also for the parts if needed, he has got to know if he is a collector that parts are hard to find and sometimes not available. Just hang in there bud.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

I think ABU parts are easier to find than some others... Shimano for example.  There are ABU specialty sites with parts and plenty of experts around.  Many of the parts are used in various models over long periods of time.

I agree with the others.  Just be up front with the guy.  If he is a serious collector he will understand that you may have to occasionally buy a donor reel to get parts.  There are ten to twenty vintage Ambassadeurs added to ebay listings every day.  The cosmetically rough ones are not expensive.
-steve

Marcq

Try Jerry at http://www.hookless.com/, He's a good guy to deal with, give him a call , he likes to talk about reels and fishing

Marc..

festus

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on August 23, 2018, 02:48:53 AM
Thanks Joe. The problem I'm facing is that this guy has 20 ambassadeurs he wants me to do but they are much more complicated then the Penn conventionals and the parts that you can find are pricey.
I've never worked on a 7000 series Abu but have done the 4600, 5000, 5500, 6000, and 6500 models.  Looking at the 7000C3 schematic there isn't much difference.  Here's a good youtube video that may help.

Actually I had more problems learning the Penn conventional repair than the Abus.  The brake plate assemblies on the Abus are a little tricky to get back together if you disassemble them completely.  If you take pictures there shouldn't be a problem.  As Sheridan (Swami) said, they aren't that complex. When I joined this site a year ago, I was having problems with simple tasks such as changing a bail spring.  Plenty of good members on here that will help if you get stuck.

Reel 224

I have my Penn hat on during that video :D I noticed that he didn't put cal's grease on those drag washers? ::) Any reason for that?

Joe

festus

I noticed he didn't service the spool bearing on the head plate side, either.  You seldom see any YouTube videos that do as thorough job as we're taught.

steelfish

Quote from: RamseyReelRepair on August 23, 2018, 02:48:53 AM
Thanks Joe. The problem I'm facing is that this guy has 20 ambassadeurs he wants me to do but they are much more complicated then the Penn conventionals ...
West

I think its a nice idea to look all 20 abu reels he want to fix, so you can check them all and order all the parts from the same place if possible and save on shipping, maybe you can reach free shipping or a discount buying a bunch of parts.

on some of those reels you might be on a position to tell him are not worth to fix them so, you can even take some parts from those to complete other models if the parts fit and only buy missing parts, if he want them best shape possible then you must buy every part new.

PS: if working on abu ambassadeurs seems like a complicated reel wait until someone brought you a shimano calcutta 400TE, a spinning reel with baitfeeder, two speed talica reel, etc.

The Baja Guy

RamseyReelRepair

Thanks for the help guys. Is really not complicated I just disassembled my buddy's 7000 tonight and I think I just let me pysch myself out because I'd never done one and the schematics showed a lot of parts I wasn't familiar with. It's actually a really cool reel and seems to be built pretty well.

West

oc1

ABU doesn't want us messing around with the clutch so everything is exposed for cleaning, but riveted in place.  It makes them quick and easy to service.  But, when they get some wear there is no easy fix if the clutch starts to inadvertently engage during a cast .  Either get a new side plate, or do brain surgery with the rivets, or perform the Ambassadeur hack where the button is notched to lock it into place when in free spool.  Don't get me wrong... I love the things.
-steve

exp2000

The 7000 C3s were a great classic reel and there are still a few kicking around here in Australia.

I have a draw full of wrecks and many parts are still available here last time I looked.

Second hand parts are plentiful in England (Google) and "Dads Ole Tackle" has some inventory closer to home.

They are made from exceptional material quality and are easy to work on. However I almost always upgrade the drags to carbontex as this makes a big difference in performance.

Don't forget, you also have the option of making one good reel from two complementary ones.

With twenty reels to work on, sounds like you already have a potential bonanza of spare parts at your fingertips.
~