Diawa Saltist handles and Senator Handles

Started by Capnbob, August 28, 2018, 05:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capnbob

I'm almost embarassed to ask this but why do saltist and many senator handles have cuts which allow the handles to be mounted in two different positions? Is there any logic in changing from a shorter to longer mount position?  In all my years of fishing, i just noted this....i guess when I started taking reels apart!!!

Someone school this old salt!!  And be nice!

thorhammer

No problem, simple explanation.. Longer "throw" from outer hole mount provides more cranking leverage, while inside positions provide speedier retrieve. All depending on what you are using the reel for...you might use a 6/0 Senator for wahoo, and need speed to retrieve line when he turns to run at the boat, or you might grouper fish it: they will dive for the rocks, not run, and you need the power to winch them away from their ledge without much ado.

John

Dominick

John is correct, however I think there is not much difference so I always keep it short. The drag setting is the key for the type of fishing you are planning.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.