6501 C3 worm gear

Started by ed99, August 28, 2018, 11:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed99

I have a 6501 C3 that was having problems with the line guide stopping intermittently.  I took it apart and cleaned it, replacing the pawl.  The worm gear looks okay but I noticed the the brass gear on the end is not solidly attached to the worm gear.

Is it supposed to be able to turn independently of the shaft?   I couldn't find the answer on Google, hopefully someone knows the answer

Tks  Ed

alantani

it is supposed to be fixed.  it is possible to carefully, and i mean very carefully, center punch the worm where it is visible in the center of the gear to expand end so that the gear does not rotate.  it is also very easy to ruin the entire worm assembly.  a large vise, a very sharp punch and a small hammer are helpful.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ed99

Thanks, I will give it a try!

Ed

oc1

There's nothing to loose because the only way to get a new worm or a new brass gear is to buy them together.  They come as one piece with one part number.
-steve

exp2000

These are a common replacement part which should be readily available.

I have seen bad batches come through with this problem on more recent models but this is not a common fault on the C3 reels.

I would just buy a new part. It's not very expensive and they might even warranty it if you explain the fault.
~

ed99

My light touch with the hammer and punch isn't lite enough, don't ask me how I know ;D

When I called Abu Garcia, warranty is only good for a year...

just ordered some parts from the reel repair shop in BC, only $13 CAD, I'm also going to upgrade to a ceramic pawl !

thanks for all of your help

Ed