alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial The continual and ongoing saga of the yellow caps
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
March 24, 2019, 03:23:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The continual and ongoing saga of the yellow caps  (Read 1953 times)
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« on: September 07, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »

FWIW, I am very frustrated with the constant loss of the yellow caps.  I just got back the torque 12 from repair at Penn and it everything with it was back to spec.  I used it for a week and the yellow cap on the spool adjecter is missing again.  This is like the 4th or 5th cap that hass been lost on these reels, and I have 3 squalls, 4 fathoms and two torques.  It is just so angering to lose the use of a 400 dollar real because of a 75 cent yellow cap and the aluminum lock nut underneath it.  This is a design problem.  That cap needs a rim on the bottom that secures it firmly to body of the reel.

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 11:17:10 AM »

FWIW - this is what it looks like. 

Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

Man, that'ed be really irritating! No way prevent that, maybe with some heavy grease?

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
George6308

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »

Take a look at purple Loctite 222 it looks like it may solve your cap loosening problem.
Swami805

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:38:33 PM »

That would be irritating. Maybe a thicker o-ring at the base of the thread? Might keep the cap from backing off the threads. 
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »

I think it needs to have two flat parts of the spindle so that the cap can lock onto it with an extra twist

conchydong
Firearms Group

Pompano Beach, FL

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »

Man, that'ed be really irritating! No way prevent that, maybe with some heavy grease?

That was the first thing that came to my mind.
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 07:15:04 PM »

I adjust them so that spool has only a tiny amount of wiggle then never touch them again. Are you constantly fiddling or adjusting them for some reason so that they loosen and fall off?  All they’d need is an o-ring to provide some additional resistance.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »

adjust them so that spool has only a tiny amount of wiggle then never touch them again.

I rarely fiddle with them.  They get jolted on the boat, or when they are carried on the subway or in the cab, or the house keeper might dust them.

The onl time I adjust them while fishing is if we suddenly see a swarm of stripers 100 feet oout and I'm jigging for them without notice ... or something like that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:01:11 PM by mrbrklyn » Logged

Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 05:34:20 AM »

That white stretchy thread tape maybe?...

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
Rivverrat

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 10:44:32 AM »

Something isn't right. Iv'e had & still have & use this version of the Torque most every day. They are the reels I leave the house with most of the time after work. This is the first I've heard of this.

When you tighten the cap can you should feel resistance from the rubber O ring. If not it could be damaged or not seated right. Please keep us informed... Jeff 
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »

Something isn't right. Iv'e had & still have & use this version of the Torque most every day. They are the reels I leave the house with most of the time after work. This is the first I've heard of this.

When you tighten the cap can you should feel resistance from the rubber O ring. If not it could be damaged or not seated right. Please keep us informed... Jeff 

The caps was lost before and it just came back from Penn Repair with the new cap.  Truthfully, I don't know how it pops off.  I just look down and it is not there.  This has happened with squals and fathoms, all of them smallish - 15's and the torque is a 12

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 07:41:12 PM »

That white stretchy thread tape maybe?...

You mean Teflon tape? I think thread lock 222 would work better...........................Joe

If has to be adjustable, otherwise it doesn't work on the spool tension.  It should just not come all the way off or to pop off.  I asume it comes off by design so you can service it.  But that is a big problem

George6308

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 08:33:25 PM »

The factory should have installed a Nylock on the reels adjustment knob. This would stop the cap from unscrewing and falling off plus also allow it to be removed when needed. O ring wears too fast.
The nut that holds the roller end of the bail wire on 704, 710, & 712 has this type of locker.
Lochtite 222 does the same with the fact that it’s added after assembly.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:37:48 PM by George6308 » Logged
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 01:20:33 AM »

The factory should have installed a Nylock on the reels adjustment knob. This would stop the cap from unscrewing and falling off plus also allow it to be removed when needed. O ring wears too fast.
The nut that holds the roller end of the bail wire on 704, 710, & 712 has this type of locker.
Lochtite 222 does the same with the fact that it’s added after assembly.

do you have a part number for that on a toque 12?

YOur talking a little over my head Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: