Daiwa Millionaire 3H Hop Up

Started by mo65, September 15, 2018, 11:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Nice resto. Mo. Love me some older, mostly metal reels. What's yer collection look like now?

I just replaced spool bearings on 3 Penn's. Expensive. Kinda interesting & fun gettin some of the old ones oudda the cups, but at the same time difficult( freezing, heating, pullin probably too hard on 'em witha homemade bearing puller). I really prefer bushings for spools. They seem to make less noise(especially less noise than a worn-out bearing)and the maintenance is so much eaiser.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: nelz on September 17, 2018, 02:31:38 PM
Mo, just curious, what's inside the other side-plate?

Just the standard ABU fare Nelz...looks just like an Ambassadeur. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on September 17, 2018, 08:20:28 PM
I really prefer bushings for spools. They seem to make less noise(especially less noise than a worn-out bearing)and the maintenance is so much easier.

I do too G. I used to think ball bearings were required for longer casting, but I've learned that's just not true for many applications. I've seen videos and tutorials where guys polished and fine tuned bushings to incredible performances. Don't think I don't like bearings though...I love noodling around with different bearings and tuning reels. I have a Daiwa Prolite PL100 I swapped out the bushings for fancy ceramic ball bearings. That is one reel that did get free with the upgrade, I had to learn that reel all over again. It will totally launch a 1/4oz. lure...but you better be on thumb detail! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

a bit off-topic, since it's about Shimano spinners...

GRAB any dirt-cheap MLX 200/300, regardless of condition -- thar be GOLD in them junk-heaps:
two big indestructible brass bushings w/ same dimensions as their most common bearing (RD 0930/8553)
fits main up to 5000-size & pinion up to 2000-size, for most(all?) 90's models & many later budget models