Revo Toro 61 questions...

Started by Mike G, August 25, 2011, 09:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike G

Hello im new to the board...

recently my revo toro started making a small squeeking noise when I turn the reel the handle. I bought it in june brand new so relatively speaking it hasnt even been through an entire season yet. I do use it for muskie fishing so I am throwing some pretty large lures with it. I have used the oil that comes with it and oiled the worm bar and put some in the lube port on the reel. Im not sure where the squeaking noise is coming from or if its even a concern but its driving me crazy. I would like to be confident enough to take it apart and clean it out but knowing me i would lose something or disassemble it the wrong way and oil/grease the wrong things. Does anyone have a tutorial of this reel and recommendations of how to go about cleaning/oiling/greasing it? I appreciate all help. Also I bought some of that quantum hot sauce grease but am unsure of how to use it. Thanks again everyone!

alantani

tough one, because lots of things are turning at that point.  start with the handle grips and work you way back.........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Welcome aboard.........   ;D

Almost any Revo tutorial will work for the Toro..  
(guess I should look first, and see if there is one)???
All the Revo series (Toro included) are basically the same.......

Here is one by Alan on the Revo Inshore.   The Toro 50 & 60 just have wider spools..
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16.0

Turning the handle squeak gives you maybe 2 or 3 likely suspects..
(if you eliminate the Level wind)
The Anti Reverse Roller bearing.
The 'Under' Main Gear Bearing/bushing.

Lighten the drag to 0 and thumb the spool while turning handle, if it still squeaks ~ its the above 2 options "almost for sure"........ Nothing else is turning....

There are other items that could do this, but those are most common culprits.....

Anything else would probably squeak any time spool is turning, casting, pulling drag etc..

Also check and make sure the spool isnt rubbing the frame... But again this would make noise in any spool turning scenario.....

Lube Port???  Or water drain hole (Backside of gear group)
Be careful where you put that oil..
It migrates all over and saturates the drag washers = Toast!!!  
That hole is Under the main gear which holds the drag washers...............

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Mike G

hey guys thanks for the responses.

I will test it out just like you said to see if it is in fact one of those issues. If it is does it just need to be cleaned for is there something that should be replaced? I am nervous I may have applied the oil wrong or that grease wrong! I am not sure how to go about doing that or if I should look into getting a different grease?

Mike G

I did that test and it was squeaking even with the drag set to zero. So how would I go about solving this issue? Mind you that I am very inexperienced with the names of parts and taking apart reels and knowing where to put oil/grease. I put a dab of that hot sauce grease on the main drag washer edges I hope I didnt do anything wrong there...

redsetta

Nessie's spot on - seems likely to be either the anti-reverse bearing or the bearing/bushing under the main shaft (assuming you were thumbing the spool while winding, as Nessie suggested).
(Sample schematic here: http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/REVO%20TORO%2060%20%2018%2000.pdf)
PS Hot Sauce is a reel lubricant (ie for bearings etc) and shouldn't be applied to your drag washers - it'll make 'em sticky.
Good luck, Justin.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

May I ask where you are at (live).. 
May be close enough to one of the Gurus here to have a looky loo while you watch?????

I have the Toro 60 and can walk you through it if needed?????

If you have been inside and have seen (oiled) the drags you have just about got it all in hand, just a step further!!!  (so close)...  lol

If you can get back to that point,  in the Side plate is the Roller bearing (its supposed to stay in there) sometimes they are lose enough to fall out)??

I turn that side plate on its side and run ReelX on the Rollers..  Work it in... 
(Make sure it only turns one way, its the instant Anti Reverse also)...

Now Under the Main Gear (that holds the drag washers) it should just pull up the shaft and come off...

At the Base of the Main Shaft (Drive Shaft) they is a bearing or bushing (dont recall which??) The shaft spins on this to reduce friction and wear... Could be held in place by a plate with 2 or 3 screws??? 

Take that off and Main shaft should almost fall out of Frame....
There is a bushing or Bearing attached to bottom...  (very Small one)
Clean that up best you can (soaked in TSI 301 works very well for that)..
PACK it good with Marine Grease... 
Work it in till you know its packed well) Replace all in same order..

Take those drag washers out and place them & Drag Plates in order so you know how to get Washer & Plates back in proper order...

Dry the oil off washers very well..  The Toro washer are very thin ~ so be very careful, always have them supported and flat.......
Coat with Cals Drag Grease... Replace all in order they came out, Re-assemble the reel and your done!!!

FYI:
I hope you have replaced the Kick Lever in it also.. 
It 'IS' going to stop working if you didnt, good time to do that also......

Revo kick lever

NEW part number is 1156749 and they are available for $2.50 each plus s&h.
Total about $6.50    ----   1-800-228-4272..

This is a bit Trickier, as there are 2 small springs that will go *BOING* and are hard to get back in place..
But it is doable with care & patience.............

So back to first question.
If your close to one of us, it may save a lot of headaches and worry!!! 
or you can ship it and pay the service fee & costs... 
Im sure most here can do it with eyes closed (some work that way all the time  ~ LMAO)  ;)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!