Brand New Sedona FI scuffing noise?

Started by greyreefshark, September 24, 2018, 11:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyreefshark

My brand new Sedona FI 3000 makes a scuffing noise as the spool spins and goes up and down.

I was going to return it, but when I checked 4 others at Bass Pro they all sounded the same.

It seems maybe that's just the way they are. Any ideas what could be causing this noise, and if there is anything I can do about it.

Thanks greatly

Ray

greyreefshark

Whoa, I'm assuming the reels must just be made that way. I was thinking there might be some more Sedona FI owners on here.

philaroman

you're in the "low-interest zone":
too new
too cheap to be good
too expensive to be disposable

in general, Shimanos are among the smoothest...  even the cheap ones (when new)

sounds like a bad production run -- exchange it & consider getting Sahara, or better

handi2

Get the newer Sahara HG. It has all bearings and no plastic bushings. I bought 6 of them to give away to kids at $70.00 each. 2 I kept for myself.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on September 26, 2018, 07:07:30 PM
Get the newer Sahara HG. It has all bearings and no plastic bushings. I bought 6 of them to give away to kids at $70.00 each. 2 I kept for myself.

There are supposed to be (3) identical washers under the spool and laying North of the ratchet wheel.

Could be if one or more of these are missing — that the spool is rubbing at the lowest oscillating point.

But if it were mine, used in the salt, and I did not want to toss it in the trash in another season or two — I would do as Keith suggests...get the Sahara HG.  Return the Sedona.  You will be much better off with real bearings instead of plastic bushings — and the reel will be serviceable.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.