information on old glass fly rod

Started by Three se7ens, September 26, 2018, 03:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Im looking for some information on an old glass fly rod my dad gave to me.  I can make out PS-40 and what may be "John Powell" on the blank.  I dont think its expensive, and probably not even that collectible.  But Id like to know more about if if anyone could shed some light on it.  It was paired with a Garcia Kingfisher GK-42 reel.

theswimmer

Looks like it might be a rebuilt Berkeley Parametric.
Check this link,

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56039

Hope that helps......
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Many of the USA  Para Metrics were  Gowdys and much more desirable that the rods produced offshore.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Midway Tommy

Zebco Prostaff. They were cataloged from 1974-77 with the John Powell signature on the '74, '75 & '76 models.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

theswimmer

Looks like you nailed itTommy !
The guides and grip are spot on .....

Errol Flynn

oc1

Thank you Tommy.  I have a box full of that style of guide and have never been quite sure how old they are.  You seem to know a lot about old rods for someone who says they do not know anything about old rods  :)
-steve

Three se7ens

Thank you Tommy!  That's exactly what I was hoping to find.

Midway Tommy

You're welcome, guys.

Steve, I really don't know as much, although I do still have a pretty good memory once seen, as I do know how and where to look for the answers. Don't tell anybody, though.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Powell musta gone off on his own. Back in the 80's and 90's they were one of the best fly rods, if I'm rememberin the time-line right. Just had the surname on those rods.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!