Tuna rigged flat fall jigs!

Started by pjstevko, October 02, 2018, 03:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I leave on a 2.5 day offshore trip on Friday out of San Diego aboard the Tomahawk and we'll targeting YFT, BFT and yellowtail. I spent a couple hours today rigging up some flat fall jigs with 250/300# leaders, heavy duty swivels, chaff protection and extra stout hooks! Here's hoping preparation equals success....and tuna!

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

alantani

what day are you back?  we have dinner at miguel's on monday night and depart tuesday morning. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

They look great!

I don't know but I thought the lure is limited to 2 hooks...

Mexican rules?  US rules?

I don't know.

David Hall

Them split rings are your weak point.  I'd get welded rings on there or double them up.

pjstevko

Quote from: alantani on October 02, 2018, 03:25:37 AM
what day are you back?  we have dinner at miguel's on monday night and depart tuesday morning. 

We're scheduled to get back to the dock at 6/8 am...... What time you getting to SD?

pjstevko

Quote from: David Hall on October 02, 2018, 04:00:58 AM
Them split rings are your weak point.  I'd get welded rings on there or double them up.

The split rings are Owner Hyperwire rated to around 300#......they are super strong.....

David Hall

I'm gonna check them out.  Thanks for that Steve.

alantani

Quote from: pjstevko on October 02, 2018, 04:10:17 AM
Quote from: alantani on October 02, 2018, 03:25:37 AM

We're scheduled to get back to the dock at 6/8 am...... What time you getting to SD?

at least by 3pm on monday. 

Stan

I'd crimp the leader to the welded ring, not to the jig.  No split ring between the rod and the hook.

Keta

I'm not a split ring fan but the Owner rings are what all split rings should be.   I still would not tie mono to any split ring but the way these are rigged will work well.

Have a fun and productive trip and I hope we can meet up on the dock or at dinner.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pjstevko

Quote from: swill88 on October 02, 2018, 03:33:01 AM
They look great!

I don't know but I thought the lure is limited to 2 hooks...

Mexican rules?  US rules?

I don't know.

From what I understand the 2 hook max is in place for ground fish (rockfish/lingcod) only not pelagic species....If I'm mistaken someone please correct me...

Fishy247

2 hooks is for rockfish, etc, in California waters.

Good luck!

Mike

alantani

no problem with this configuration for tuna.

pjstevko

Quote from: Keta on October 02, 2018, 01:40:58 PM
I'm not a split ring fan but the Owner rings are what all split rings should be.   I still would not tie mono to any split ring but the way these are rigged will work well.

Have a fun and productive trip and I hope we can meet up on the dock or at dinner.

Unfortunately I won't be able to meet up with you guys for dinner as I will have to head directly home after arriving back at the dock. We are doing some prescribed burning at work starting Tuesday so i'll need to get home to get ready for that....