Sal's knobs

Started by Reel 224, October 04, 2018, 04:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I get those from a couple of different places, Dom.

I tried to get these, but shipping for a tiny package of 50 was over $100 :-\
http://www.mafa-shop.de/Lubrication-Grease-and-Oil/Ball-Point-Oiler/Brass-Ball-Point-Oiler-6mms%2C-nickel-plated-with-red-ball::8.html

Maybe someone here from Germany could do better.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 07, 2018, 11:56:00 AM
Ted, I kept looking and said: what a heck is Ted talking about?...now I do see it, you were right all along ;)

Sal

And if you look hard enough you will see Ruth on the other knob :o ;D...................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

It's a cosmic sign.... like the face of Jesus appearing in a piece of toast.
-steve

Reel 224

Steve: I don't think that is that dramatic. Although Ruth and Joseph are in the Bible, I don't profess to being them.

Joe 

P.S. By the way someone is messing with our heads, those knobs are messed with to make it look like those names. So look at my pictures again.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

Sal, can you do his with any knob? I have some Newell replacement knobs that I purchased from Reelman well over a decade ago. They have no bushing or bearing. They are just held in place by the Newell handle screw.

Thanks,

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Frank on October 21, 2018, 12:04:56 PM
Sal, can you do his with any knob? I have some Newell replacement knobs that I purchased from Reelman well over a decade ago. They have no bushing or bearing. They are just held in place by the Newell handle screw.

Thanks,

Frank

Hello Frank, if the screw is not welded with permanent Loctite, of course I could, but might not be able to give you an oil port.

I can't make my own shaft... YET, but I'm looking for a benchtop lathe. It will be some time still, these knobs and arms get expensive quick.

I do have ways of making them work with what I have, but depends on the type of knob.

Sal

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Frank

Hey Sal.

No oil port or shaft. Newell knobs are just a hunk of plastic.

Alto Mare

Oh, I see.
This is the same situation here:

I could do it, but if you wanted the same shape as the one you're showing, it could be done, but requires lots of hand shaping.
I could only turn it 50%, the rest would be by hand. I'm limited with tools.

Sal

Frank

Sal, is that round wood colored knob 100% turned or did you have to hand shape it? I like that shape even better than what I was going to send you.

Frank

I don't want this to be labor intensive for you and I'm open to any design you can come up with. The less hand shaping the better.

Darin Crofton

Thanks again for making another one of my reels (US 113N) come to life, Sal, I truly appreciate your work and craftsmanship!
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

Oh Snap!
That handle looks Amazing. :o

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Thanks guys! Chris, those are brass and I'm not sure how long they would last,
I found these zinc-plated steel, they would be a little more durable
https://www.mcmaster.com/oil-ports
The ones I've been using are stainless steel.

Thanks for the compliment on the knobs guys.
I make these at cost plus a couple of dollars to cover cutting tools and sandpaper in case anyone wanted one.

Sal

gstours

Another example of Sals great talent is his sharing with many others on this site.  I recently opened a box and found this big red beauty.  I love the size, colors, offset, stainless 2 position arm, and an oil port.
    This is well thought out and will be tested against a barn door 🚪 with a big mouth 👄.
Thanks Sal for thinking 🤔 of me.  I want to take you fishing.   Point your compass northwest.