NIB 16/0 Lighthouse Penn

Started by Deepfins, October 12, 2018, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepfins

You just can't make this stuff up!  Unbelievable coincidence!

Here is another tidbit from the collection.  Talk about rare catalogs, how about one from Mr. Kovalovsky, himself!
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick

Deepfins

I uploaded copies of all the correspondence between this guy and Arthur K. on my website.  Here are scans of three actual photos that Arthur mailed to him when he was trying to sell him reels.  Also a scan of the reverse of the photos showing Arthur's typed notes, and additional notes the Doctor added.
"As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts."

Tightlines667

That is pretty cool stuff there!

Thanks for sharing!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oc1

This is a terrific thread.  The amount of documentation and equipment is incredible.  It is as though the gentlemen intended for something like this to happen because they knew breaking open big game fishing would forever be a milestone in sporting history.  It also implies that they had an appreciation of the sporting history that had come before them.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

Steve,
What makes this one unusual is the gear was kept in the family all these years.  My grandfather died in 1966.  A jeweler pal of mine tells me that the heirs so often want to sell off the estate jewelry before the body is cold and grab the cash. The objects survive but the stories and nuances are lost forever.  In an email to Johnny Deepfins I commented that in the shot above in the thread like my avatar, but with Doc in the frame the conversation was at about the point where my grandfather said "Well Doc, looks like you owe me another Stetson."
Doomed from childhood

Deepfins

Steve and Bob (Cuttyhunker),

You both bring up good points.  The fact that this collection reflects the golden years of big game fishing, from the early 30's up until the late 60's, and the fact that the tackle  has managed to stay intact makes it a significant historical find.  We've all seen it.  The patriarch or matriarch dies, and the stuff gets scattered to the winds.  Not saying that's wrong, but that's what usually happens.  But "Doc" saved everything, and his family kept it all together over the years.  And when you look at the tackle, it is all there, from the early Kovalovsky's to the later Penn's and Ocean Cities.  It really is amazing.  Then, you throw in a serendipitous connection between Doc and Bob's grandfather!!  I mean this kind of stuff keeps me up at night!

There appears to be a lot of interest, so I will continue to dribble items out as a I have time to take pictures, scan items, and upload them.  His boat records are really special.  They paint a perfect picture of what it was like to own and maintain a yacht in the late 30's/early 40's.

Cheers,
John

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: Deepfins on October 19, 2018, 04:17:59 PM
Steve and Bob (Cuttyhunker),

There appears to be a lot of interest, so I will continue to dribble items out as a I have time to take pictures, scan items, and upload them.  His boat records are really special.  They paint a perfect picture of what it was like to own and maintain a yacht in the late 30's/early 40's.

Cheers,
John

Yes John we are all excited and happy for you.  Interest? this thread may eclipse all the threads in this site.  By all means keep dribbling out stuff.  I for one await more with great anticipation.  Dominick 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Deepfins

So here is a picture of the electric line dryer that came from the estate after I cleaned it up.  Check out the video below to see it run.  Watch in full HD.

Cuttyhunker

John,
Your big dryer is identical to the one I recall in the basement as a kid even down to the exact crystal knob and the groove in the outside disk for the belt, so some one was belting them out commercially and maybe more still exist.  The base was shorter as there was no motor setup on it and I would expect that Doc and Wally picked them both up, maybe on a joint venture from Long Island into The City at A&F in NYC.   
Doomed from childhood

Dominick

John, thanks for that video.  Pretty cool stuff.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Very very cool John.  Thanks for these posts.

Steve

bhale1

John,
Thanks for the history lesson...very cool. ;D
Brett

Penn Chronology

The Great Maudu

Everyone who has ever started collecting vintage tackle fantasizes, hopes and prays to find a treasure trove like this and have the means to acquire it. This is the most outstanding find I have ever seen or heard about. Congratulations and thank you for bringing it to light.