Cool old Garcia Admiral 7.5/0 made by Everol back in the 60s

Started by 54bullseye, October 12, 2018, 10:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

I just picked this up off eBay for just over $400. It looked a little rough but to me had potential of cleaning up nice and it did !!   Biggest issue was the star shaped nut that is used to hold on and adjust the handle position had some broken stars. I think it is just heavy black plastic or Delrin so it won't be a tuff fix. I took reel apart and was lucky that all side plate screws came loose with plates being aluminum but there all greased up now. I expected to find cork drags but they are some sort of composite material but they were in good shape just a little oily. I cleaned them with alcohol then cleaned up drag plates with fine steel wool. When I took spool shaft out of spool I had about 40 needle bearings fall out so cleaned all up and one by one put them back with grease. Everything is now smooth and drag works good.

I have a really nice 4/0 Admiral also so wanted to add this one to my older Everol's. I also recently picked up an early 1960s Everol 4/0 that is about new along with the box. Hope you like them they are really well built reels !!    Thanks for looking !!   John Taylor

54bullseye

Here is the 4/0

54bullseye

You notice the small scratches on the 4/0s handle. I believe they are from being in the box as the reel won't fit unless you remove the handle so I think it was banged around in box.    John Taylor

Robert Janssen

Nice; I watched that one go on ebay. Looks like it cleaned up very nicely. Bravo.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

Those are beauties!  I think I would have come un-glued if I had a pile of needle bearings fall out. Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 12, 2018, 11:00:36 PM
Nice; I watched that one go on ebay. Looks like it cleaned up very nicely. Bravo.

Robert I have a red Everol 7.5 also in about same condition. It seems the Everol's have stainless bolts and washers to hold handles in place not the plastic like the ones made for Garcia.   John Taylor

4/0 Garcia has Plastic knob to.

54bullseye

Quote from: Swami805 on October 12, 2018, 11:14:43 PM
Those are beauties!  I think I would have come un-glued if I had a pile of needle bearings fall out. Thanks for posting

Sheridan when it first happened I did !!! Lol !! A little Cal's grease in the race and a toothpick with a touch of grease and they went in surprisingly well. They came out of both ends of spool to  )(*&^%$#@#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$#    John Taylor

Robert Janssen

Quote...It seems the Everol's have stainless bolts and washers to hold handles in place not the plastic like the ones made for Garcia...

Mostly a matter of people having lost the star knobs i think. Of course, some variants may have occurred... Did you buy the one with the silver, unanodized handle? I made it from scratch since the handle and star had been lost.

54bullseye

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 12, 2018, 11:39:38 PM
Quote...It seems the Everol's have stainless bolts and washers to hold handles in place not the plastic like the ones made for Garcia...

Mostly a matter of people having lost the star knobs i think. Of course, some variants may have occurred... Did you buy the one with the silver, unanodized handle? I made it from scratch since the handle and star had been lost.

No I haven't seen that one YET !! I thought about making the star out of Aluminum then painting it black I think it would be stronger.   John Taylor

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!