Old Penn 10/0 on Bamboo Pole

Started by Darin Crofton, October 14, 2018, 06:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Cool!
The first thing that comes to mind if yer gonna fish it, is an ss gear sleeve. This'ed be hidden when assembled, keeping the reel original lookin.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

xjchad

Wow, what a great find Darin!
I can't wait to hear the story behind it!
If it were me, I'd keep it as is and put it on a wall with the history in a frame next to it.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

1badf350

Quote from: xjchad on October 16, 2018, 09:01:21 PM
If it were me, I'd keep it as is and put it on a wall with the history in a frame next to it.
This is what I would do
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Alto Mare

Beautiful combo, you don't find these often.
I'm with the two gentlemen above, it would brighten any room.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

That rig has character...I'd be tempted to leave it as is. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: 1badf350 on October 16, 2018, 10:33:30 PM
Quote from: xjchad on October 16, 2018, 09:01:21 PM
This is what I would do

I've got to agree. I wouldnt clean that reel up much. Any thing I did would be to preserve the condition it's in. However I've guns over 100 years old that I've preserved in the  condition I purchased them but I still shoot them. I really dont like the idea being a wharehouse for some one else. By just keeping stuff I never use. That rod & reel would look great on the wall any ones man cave... Jeff

Swami805

I think I'd strip the line off to makes sure there's nothing funky going on down there,other than that keep it OG. Might want to jot down the story that goes with it and keep it with the set up.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

It looks like wall hanger is the consensus for most here. I'm not sure I have a wall to hang it on, my little corner is full, lol.
Where's all the rod gurus? Should I post something in the rod section?
Thanks for all the comments!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Maxed Out

The reel dates to 1950's

Sometime around 1960 the logo moved above the eccentric to 12 o'clock position....your logo is below the eccentric
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

Wow ! So this combo just raked in more cool points... Jeff

xjchad

Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 17, 2018, 01:54:45 AM
It looks like wall hanger is the consensus for most here. I'm not sure I have a wall to hang it on, my little corner is full, lol.

Darin,
You can hang it on my wall, I've got plenty of room!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 17, 2018, 01:55:25 AM
The reel dates to 1950's

Sometime around 1960 the logo moved above the eccentric to 12 o'clock position....your logo is below the eccentric
Wow, thanks Ted, I appreciate the feedback and info!

Darin Crofton

Quote from: xjchad on October 17, 2018, 02:07:06 AM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 17, 2018, 01:54:45 AM

Darin,
You can hang it on my wall, I've got plenty of room!
I'd have to throw a few more reels in the box tomorrow, Chad... lmbo ;D ;D ;D

oc1

I would be afraid to fish with the rod Darin.  The oils could be dried up in the wood and it may not be a strong as it used to be.  I still think it's hickory.  No one would have made a hickory (or any wood) rod after the very early 1950's.  The wrappings and the way the handle fits into the reel seat makes me think it was either home made or rebuilt.  Someone may recognize the reel seat manufacturer.  The ring guides look like Mildrum.  Never seen anything like that roller tip though.  Have no idea what the foregrip is.  The foregrip looks like alligatored varnish in the photo.  Seems like it would have been wrapped with something but the wrapping may have rotted away.  The line is Dacron.  Most likely Gudebrod green spot.  Those pitted ring guides would chew up Dacron line immediately.  If you remove the line and find the spool is corroded you can wash the line to get the salt out and dry it.  You would need to cobble together a line dryer spool though (some scrap plywood for the flanges and welded wire for the arbor is cheap and easy).

It's all just cool as heck.  I would keep it as-is and not mess with it.  Replacing that broken ring might cost more than getting another project reel.

-steve

Darin Crofton

Quote from: oc1 on October 17, 2018, 07:16:07 AM
I would be afraid to fish with the rod Darin.  The oils could be dried up in the wood and it may not be a strong as it used to be.  I still think it's hickory.  No one would have made a hickory (or any wood) rod after the very early 1950's.  The wrappings and the way the handle fits into the reel seat makes me think it was either home made or rebuilt.  Someone may recognize the reel seat manufacturer.  The ring guides look like Mildrum.  Never seen anything like that roller tip though.  Have no idea what the foregrip is.  The foregrip looks like alligatored varnish in the photo.  Seems like it would have been wrapped with something but the wrapping may have rotted away.  The line is Dacron.  Most likely Gudebrod green spot.  Those pitted ring guides would chew up Dacron line immediately.  If you remove the line and find the spool is corroded you can wash the line to get the salt out and dry it.  You would need to cobble together a line dryer spool though (some scrap plywood for the flanges and welded wire for the arbor is cheap and easy).

It's all just cool as heck.  I would keep it as-is and not mess with it.  Replacing that broken ring might cost more than getting another project reel.

-steve
Steve,
Between you and Ted I believe I have a pretty good idea what we're looking at here.
Thank you for all the details of my find I was looking for! It's hard to stop looking
at it, wondering what it was like to use it so many years ago.
Darin