Daiwa BG floating shaft upgrade

Started by bhale1, October 14, 2018, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhale1

Hi all,
Just thought Id share an upgrade I did to one of my Daiwa BG spinning reels.
I really like the reels, and for the $$$, they are a great reel. Alan Hawke, Tackle Advisors , and our very own johndtuttle have done take-downs and reviews, so there is plenty of info out there. The upgrade is simple, and in the end you have a bearing supporting the spool shaft, just forward of the rotor retaining nut.
It is my understanding that this will help prevent shaft flex, under load, so as not to affect the pinion. I did one reel,and it was easy. i need to come up with a test before I do the other, so I can try some before and after pulls ;D

here it is,,

First remove spool, drag clicker and various washers, and your left with the rotor nut retention plate, held in by three screws

This is what you'll see after you remove the plate. Note the groove where I'm pointing with the pick, this needs to be cleeaned of old grease to accept on o-ring

Here is the kit,...retainer, sealed bearing, and o-ring

So, you need to now put that o-ring in the groove. I had a little difficulty making it stay put so I used a little Super Lube on it to help hold it in place.Then I put grease in the bearing retainer and pushed in bearing

Please take note of how the nut retainer has points that line up with the three screw holes. your rotor nut needs to be adjusted so the "points" of the nut are aligned with the holes in the reel body,or at least that's how I did it. Now just screw it on, being careful to not move o-ring.....a few shots of finished verses stock

This kit is designed for the 4500, and 5000 BG"s, which happened to be the two I had. To me it makes sense, and should be of benefit, your thoughts welcomed.
BTW...the reels share the same body, spools are different....I need to shim the line lay on the 5000 before i go further on it, and devise an appropriate way to test it ???

And, yes, I know these are not the original Daiwa BG's, and for many here there is probably only one black and gold reel ;D
(that was for Sal ;D)

Hope this helps. I ordered my kit from Amazon ,but have come to find out that the creator of this kit is actually a new Ohana member.

I'm putting this at the bottom so if it needs to be modified it can be...Although the boss already said it was okay.....
Ohana members name is Andrew, his site name is bobleflounder...

Brett

Glos

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

bhale1

Thanks glos....I'll have to check that out....did they put it to the test?
Brett

Alto Mare

Very cool Brett, with some nice detailed pics...good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wfjord

If it turns out to be a great thing I hope they'll make one to fit a BG3000.

xjchad

Thanks for the walk through, great upgrade!
Nice Brett!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

bhale1

Update to original post....it was on Amazon.
Sorry
Brett

Shark Hunter

I love the new BG.
I mainly have 8000 models, but I do have a 5.
I will look into this upgrade.
Life is Good!

Glos

Quote from: bhale1 on October 14, 2018, 04:43:43 PM
Thanks glos....I'll have to check that out....did they put it to the test?
Brett
not sure, but they talked about it ( or something like hat ) and shown some pics, also posted some amazon links to the product.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Gfish

Looks like onea the best spinning reel upgrades I've seen to date. Does it feel smoother when you reel it? Gotta see the "load test" results when you do 'em.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

brilliant, but kit should have spare O-rings...
better yet, sell the stuff separately & offer some options:
let the peepuls decide whether they want sealed/shielded/open or plain brass bush

bobleflounder

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you guys think the mod is useful. Like I said before, I am mostly doing this to get the manufacturers attention to consider putting higher-end features that don't cost that much money to add, like a floating shaft, into their cheaper reels. I haven't been doing anything to try to get their attention lately as I've been really busy with school and finishing a fly reel design. The spinfisher 6/slammer 3 looks like it can accept a similar mod so once I finish up the 8000 version I will try to cover the Penns.
philaroman, I wish I could offer more options, but I don't sell enough/have enough time to stock all the different combinations, but I will be sure to include an extra O ring in the next ones I send out.
Gfish, It doesn't feel smoother when you reel it under no pressure but under load, the difference is pretty dramatic. If I ever get time I will try to put out a video.
bhale, if you want to test it out remove the spool and tie on a piece of 50lb mono to the end of the main shaft and get a friend to pull down while you try to crank in, and compare with and without the mod. I would definitely not do it on a rod, at least indoors. I did that and it did not go well....
Glos, yeah I posted a thread about it on SOL and it got taken down for a bit because of the commercial links but I worked it out with Tim and it is up again. If it is against the rule to mention commerical links/other forums here I would be happy to work out a deal with Alan for this site. I am making about $2-3 (depending on how large of a batch I make) per part because this is more of a fun project to me, and imo, the more people who know what can be done with cheaper reels, the merrier

RowdyW

Andrew, I'm sure Alan will get in touch with you when he returns from his fishing trip. I'm looking forward to your upgrade for the BG8000. I already ordered one for my BG4500.            Rudy

handi2

I dont think the new Slammer III needs any modification.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Alan Hawk doesn't rate this reel, but It looks pretty stout to me.
A 4500 has 30lbs of drag. :o
Life is Good!