Attempting my first build....P21XN Jiggy!

Started by pjstevko, October 22, 2018, 12:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm about to attempt my very first build....an Extra Narrow Jigmaster!

I got a set of red Cortez plates, the last P21XN red frame /silver spool from Randy, a kit of SS internals from Pro Challenger, a shift lever from Maureen at Mystic Parts, a star from Jurelometer (Dave) and a beautiful pearl fluorescent T-bar knob from Lou. The only thing left to acquire is the actual handle which I have a few leads on.....

Having never even taken one apart I'm going to be asking a ton of questions in this thread and maybe via pm so please bare with me.........I'll start out with a very easy question....

Do I just follow the standard Penn 500/501 schematics?

Any and all tips on doing one of these builds will be greatly appreciated!

Pj

Darin Crofton

Hi PJ,
I'm in the same boat as you, I've been collecting reels and parts recently and I'm doing my first build this week. Good luck buddy!
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Swami805

If you can put together a jigmaster you shouldn't have any problems, the only thing that's really different is the 2 dogs. Shims on the spool shaft and might be a few tweaks to the drag stack to get the height right, minor adjustment stuff. You should be fine.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

theswimmer

PJ !
With an early Chinese doner , my reel went together in about 30 minutes......
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Reel 224

PJ; once you finish with that one. It woun't be the last  ;) :)....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

pjstevko

Quote from: Swami805 on October 22, 2018, 02:29:26 AM
If you can put together a jigmaster you shouldn't have any problems, the only thing that's really different is the 2 dogs. Shims on the spool shaft and might be a few tweaks to the drag stack to get the height right, minor adjustment stuff. You should be fine.
I've never even put together a regular Jigmaster! I'm way out of my comfort zone!

Swami805

The nice part of those is you don't have to fool with the dog mounted on a bridge screw. The older penns are all the same basic design, it's easier than a 4/0 if you've done one of those. You'll be fine
Do what you can with that you have where you are

pjstevko

Quote from: theswimmer on October 22, 2018, 02:33:04 AM
PJ !
With an early Chinese doner , my reel went together in about 30 minutes......
Best,
JT

Might be asking for your help! Or sending you a big box of parts :)

pjstevko

The majority of the parts should be here by the end of today so I might start laying everything out tonight........

Do I need to coat the inner plates and internal gears with Penn grease?

Here's to hoping I can figure this all out!

thorhammer

Yes. Oil bearings. TS321, Corrosion X, Speed X, Rocket Fuel or even Abu oil if that's all you can find but NOT Quantum Hot Sauce. It gums, and has been soundly cursed by the Forum and some techs here won't service a reel with red sludge in it. Cals or Shimano drag grease in the stack or leave dry until you get some. Penn blue or marine wheel bearing grease, brushed lightly on all other interior surfaces: both sides of bridge, inside of plates, sides of spool flanges, clicker assembly, and particularly, take apart the reel foot, grease underneath, and grease plate / frame interface before you assemble. If you don't have a grease gun fitting, wipe a bit of Blue on all screws before you insert to keep salt out of screw holes and galvanically melding your SS screws in aluminum forever. Don't forget clamp screws too. Wax spool with car wax before you line it. If you are loading braid, but on a short bit of mono or flaxwrap around arbor (after waxing) to keep braid from slipping on spool under tension. Grease sleeve, handle, handle nut interface and handle nut threads. Oil handle knob in any hole  / crevice you can see.

John

This is the best PM for preservice as distilled from our Fearless Leader.

xjchad

Well this should help you some: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20.0

As you get stuck, post pics and you'll get the answers you need.  This'll be fun!  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

pjstevko

Quote from: xjchad on October 22, 2018, 04:34:54 PM
Well this should help you some: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20.0

As you get stuck, post pics and you'll get the answers you need.  This'll be fun!  ;D

Thanks for the link, that should help immensely!

I'm sure it'll be fun for others to watch!

Bryan Young

PJ, I'm sure you will have no problems in the build.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

I too recently built my first from a pile of parts, been doing minor service/repair for some time, but custom builds are different . one thing I will mention, sorry if it's been said, but I didn't see it, is to do initial assembly dry without oil or grease to make sure of fit and function. especially true with custom parts. I found myself having to take assembly apart, clean off lube and remove metal, change shims/drag metals, or adjust/change parts to make it work. you will be fine, and I myself feel I am becoming a better reel mechanic with each next build. as they say, it is addictive!

thorhammer

YES! it crossed my mind to say dry fit and I didn't- custom or no its  a great idea on any reel you haven't done before.