Shimano Sustain 4000FD

Started by rjtfd, October 27, 2018, 01:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtfd

I have two sustains that are both about 10 years old in very good condition. The anti reverse does not work in occasion? I've taken reel apart and don't see anything obvious. I break reels down every winter and re lube and grease entire reel. Not sure where the problem is? It's not every cast but happening more and more.
Any suggestions?

Thank you

philaroman

make sure your A/R roller-bearing is clean & DRY...  if lube gets in there, it starts to misbehave exactly as you described

NOTE: the big steel bushing in the center (part of the A/R assembly; not shown/numbered on schematic) should also be clean/dry outside (thin coat of grease inside, where it goes on the pinion) & installed wide side up

rjtfd

I'll have to take a look. Not 100% sure about the bearing you mentioned.
Thank you

rjtfd

alantani

ralph, an anti-reverse roller bearing is sort of like a girlfriend that cheats on you.  notice that i said girlfriend, not wife.  you might get it to work again, and it might be fine for a very long time, but it will eventually fail again and you will never know when it will happen.  the failure will always been under a big fish situation.  you just can't ever fully trust it again. 

to fix it, you could totally pull it apart, clean, relube and reassemble.  but the first step would be to drizzle some corrosion x into the assembly without taking it apart to see if that helps.  that is what i would do because i haven't had one of those apart in years and i do not intend to ever do so again.  they are a nightmare to service.  replacement is the definitive step.  finding someone to do the work will be hard.  you will have to check with all the shimano-approved service centers to see.  you'll have to call to see if they will attempt it.  i believe this reel is considered "obsolete" by shimano and they will not deal with it anymore. 

on the side, since they have washed their hands of this reel, you might consider selling this reel after it has been serviced and wash your hands of them.  good luck!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

philaroman

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Sustain/SHIMANO%20SUSTAIN%20SA4000FD(2003).pdf

RD-6130 - it's the big, complex grey assembly that sits under the rotor & big steel bushing that goes in the center... I half-willingly open those pesky buggers, but it's not for everyone...  you can try & rinse 'em whole/unopened in mild cleaner(s)/solvent(s),in some way that leaves no residue
the innards should be clean&DRY!!!

rjtfd

Got it thank you. I may just purchase a replacement and swap it out.

philaroman

before you spend, try alcohol
run a Q-tip over the tiny rollers 'til it comes back clean
if A/R improves -- you know that's the problem
maybe a few vigorous rinses is all it needs

rjtfd

I cleaned the clutch without taking it apart. There was definitely some lube on it but not terrible. I cleaned the rollers and both sides of clutch. I reinstalled and it seems to work fine and as it should? We'll see when I fish them a few times I guess. I did order new assemblies since they were very cheap direct from Shimano. I hate giving up on these reels as I've had them for a long time and they are well taken care of. I've use them all the time and have caught hundreds of good fish with them. Over the years I've replaced the drags with carbontex drags, replaced the friction ring in both reels and one bearing and recently had to replace the handle knobs. Other than that everything else is. Maybe be able to get another hundred fish with them....Lol
Thanks for the help!

philaroman

did you get the black $20 generic replacements -- I'd guess Malaysian w/ plastic leaf springs, while your grey originals are Japanese w/ steel wire springs...  tedious to clean, but not that tough since you have 2 identical -- you open one gently & leave it undisturbed, as a guide to reassemble the other after cleaning...  that's how I do it -- always serviced several at one time & never needed a schematic or tutorial

rjtfd

Hi
Not sure which ones they are (generic or non)? I ordered them direct from Shimano. I was just going to order one and try to disassemble the other and figured if it was no good I had the replacement in hand. For $10 and change each I just ordered two. I'll take apart the old ones and keep them as spares.