alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Yacht-Fishing Boat Collision?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 07, 2019, 11:51:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yacht-Fishing Boat Collision?  (Read 1669 times)
Wally15
Firearms Group

Tres Marias 347 LB YFT (Puerto Vallarta, Mexico)

« on: October 27, 2018, 06:01:36 AM »

Caught a blurb on the news this AM (10/27) that some 300'+ yacht hit a fishing boat with 28 aboard near the US-Mexico border in the Pacific. One person hurt. Sounds like one of the San Diego LR boats was involved if carrying 28 fishermen. West coast news is very spotty over here on the east coast.
Any update?
GA Mike

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
Swami805

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 06:14:31 AM »

It was the Prowler and some mega yacht. One was badly hurt and a few others injured. Sounds really bad. Hope everyone comes out ok.
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:10:05 AM »

Picture from someone on board the prowler. The whole side of the boat is gone.

* 26102F15-FE4D-40BB-84C3-FEB1A6B099A5.jpeg (80.22 KB, 525x700 - viewed 92 times.)

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »

People will be pissing in cups and someone will loose their license and do time in jail.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
swill88
Photo Group

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 07:18:10 AM »

The Prowler has a newer young captain.
whalebreath

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »

People will be pissing in cups and someone will loose their license and do time in jail.
Not if it happened in Mexican territorial waters.
Swami805

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »

Just a really tragic situation, one life lost and many others affected. Just reinforces how quickly things can go bad at sea.
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »

Not if it happened in Mexican territorial waters.

The licensed captains are responsible and the USCG can make them take a wiz quiz no mater where it happened.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »

The Admiralty court was established to handle incidents on the high seas. Someone will be giving blood probably, everything about this sucks.
The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
joel8080
Firearms Group

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »

I have seen the Yacht a while back coming back into SD harbor, it's fantastic it's loaded with a lot of radar on it's mast and has a French A Star Helicopter on board, The Fishing boat I can understand it might of had the radar off or the Capt was on deck helping out. But the Yacht of that size has a Capt and a First officer to take the helm when he is out of the wheel house.
It's going to be interesting to read the CG final report.

joel8080

Oceanside,California
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »

Joel is there a website to read the report you mentioned?  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
David Hall
Firearms Group

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »

What can we take away from this tragedy?  Just my .02 worth.
Another reason to run AIS on your vessel.  Mine will sound an alarm, so will my radar and it will also track vessels.  This kind of accident is disturbing for many reasons, mostly because itís preventable. But Iíd youve ever looked on an AIS tracker like vessel watch there is a mind boggling amount of traffic in and out and around San Diego and L.A. harbors.  Itís actually somewhat amazing to me that there are not more collisions out there.  There are literally hundreds and hundreds of vessels going in every direction at all times of the day and night.

My personal view is I can never have to much safety equipment, I can never be to safe.
theswimmer

Sierra Nevada

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 07:23:54 AM »

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/30/san-clemente-man-66-couldnt-be-saved-in-imperial-beach-boat-collision/

Update : Big question is why did it take 2 hours to notify the Coast Guard ?
Nine miles offshore  , those 2 hours were critical to someone with a head injury .
Some of the best hospitals in the world are  a 10 minute helo ride away.........
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 07:27:23 AM by theswimmer » Logged

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.

Clark Gable
joel8080
Firearms Group

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »

Keta

If it's the CG report your asking about? it will take several months to a year before it shows up.

Oceanside,California
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:34:26 AM »

Thanks Joel but it was Dominick asking.  It will take months to finish the investigation, I know because I was involved in a very large oil spill, not my doing, and had to have several "chats" with the USCG before it was over. 

Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: