Chile's Chipotle Chile

Started by ChileRelleno, October 27, 2018, 06:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Participating in a Chile Cook Off today.
I'm using a variation of my 'Chile's Chipotle Chile' which I've done very well in past cook-offs.
Over the decades it has placed and/or won various categories, Overall, Spiciest, Hidden Ingredient and Purist/Original Style.

It is constructed as a very meaty chile.
And it is originally a purist version of chile, i.e. chiles, meat and a few spices.
But it easily adapts itself to suit many tastes, so if one knows what some judges prefer or look for, you can adjust the recipe accordingly.
And today I'm doing exactly that by adjusting the spiciness, sweetness and adding optional ingredients such as Rotel, pinto beans and bell peppers.

The original recipe is a very large recipe, but with a little foresight it can be adjusted down for family sized pots.
I'll be giving the original full recipe, the original purist version is everything but those listed as optional.

Chile's Chipotle Chile
8-10 lbs of Flank or Skirt steak
(* Marinated as for Carne Asada, then grilled over high heat.
A heavy char imparts what I consider a most important flavor to the chile.)
8 - 7.5oz cans of Herdez Chipotle chiles in adobo
4 - 10oz cans of Rotel *Optional
2C Brown sugar
(* The brown sugar is used to cut the bitterness all too common with Chipotle chiles.
Adjust to taste for sweetness.)
1 large bar Hershey's Dark Chocolate
(*Optional, but highly recommended as this is my secret ingredient.
The chocolate gives a wonderful hint of Mole flavor.)
1-2 lbs of cooked Pinto or Black beans * Optional
6 Bell Peppers, 2 large white onion and 6 large cloves of garlic
(* Optional, roasted, chopped and added into the sauce)
Salt, Cumin and Mexican Oregano, spice to taste.

Puree the Chipotles, brown sugar and Rotel together in a blender or food processor.
Add to stock pot over low heat.
Roast the bell peppers, onions and garlic, then chop and add into sauce.
Grill the steaks over high heat for a heavy char, rest, chop into bite sized pieces and add into sauce.
Add beans.
I usually limit my cook time to a minimum and only simmer for 1/2-1 hour.
To me this keeps the flavors of everything distinct, I can taste everything individually and as a whole. When I get a nice bite of steak I can chew on it and enjoy the beefy goodness without it being over powered by the chile.

Today's Version
5.25 lbs of Flank or Skirt steak
4 - 7.5oz cans of Herdez Chipotle chiles in adobo
4 - 10oz cans of Rotel
2C brown sugar
3/4 large bar Hershey's Dark Chocolate
1 lb of cooked Pinto beans
6 Bell beppers, 3 med white onion and 3 cloves of Elephant garlic
Salt, cumin and oregano, spice to taste.

Ready to Puree

Pintos

Chocolate

Roasting the Veggies

Chopped Onions/Bell Pepper

Minced Garlic

Sauce, bell pepper, onion, garlic

Skirt Steak on the Grill

Love that Char

Everything

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 27, 2018, 07:29:07 PM
Looks like a winner to me. :P
Thanks, could be... It's a winner for me of course since I had to sample the steak and chile.  ;)
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on October 27, 2018, 07:46:45 PM
Over the top Bud!!

.....Lou
Thanks.
Not really overly ambitious, but dag blamed delicious.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Maxed Out

Looks like a splendid recipe. You always seem to put your own twist on things which takes it up a notch !!

I'm just curious why you held back 2 squares of the Hershey bar ??  :D :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 27, 2018, 09:19:53 PM
Looks like a splendid recipe. You always seem to put your own twist on things which takes it up a notch !!

I'm just curious why you held back 2 squares of the Hershey bar ??  :D :D

Ted
Everything must be taste tested... For safety ya know.
Ragnar Benson:

conchydong

Looks awesome. I remember the days when skirt, flank, short ribs and oxtails were "cheap" cuts. Now days I can buy ribeye cheaper than the aforementioned cuts. Just like chicken wings...supply and demand. It is a interesting take on chili and one that I would like to try someday.
thanks for all of your great food posts.

Scott

swill88

Let me know when you can use an apprentice...  I'm available

Alto Mare

Very nice as usual! I'll take mine with dark chocolate though :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 28, 2018, 01:11:35 AM
Very nice as usual! I'll take mine with dark chocolate though :)

Sal
Thanks.
Well you're in luck as that as Hershey's Special Dark.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: conchydong on October 27, 2018, 11:20:21 PM
Looks awesome. I remember the days when skirt, flank, short ribs and oxtails were "cheap" cuts. Now days I can buy ribeye cheaper than the aforementioned cuts. Just like chicken wings...supply and demand. It is a interesting take on chili and one that I would like to try someday.
thanks for all of your great food posts.

Scott
Thank you.
I know right, ridiculous.
Even the still odd cuts like cheeks, tongue and others are a premium price.
Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Quote from: swill88 on October 28, 2018, 12:30:49 AM
Let me know when you can use an apprentice...  I'm available

Applications for Apprenticeships are taken annually every Feb 30th.
Ragnar Benson:

happyhooker

I'm usually pretty picky about other folks' recipes, but this one has got me intrigued.

The chilis are in "adobo sauce".  What exactly is that?

Frank

ChileRelleno

Quote from: happyhooker on October 30, 2018, 02:11:22 AM
I'm usually pretty picky about other folks' recipes, but this one has got me intrigued.

The chilis are in "adobo sauce".  What exactly is that?

Frank
Imagine for a second that you've the vast majority of all the information of the world at your fingertips.  ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobo

Ragnar Benson:

Reel 224

Chile: You are a pro in my book, but if I ate like that I would be dead. I love you stile of cooking...........................Jor
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."