I need a source for Shimano Ocea EX8 PE2 line.

Started by Keta, October 30, 2018, 01:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I am clueless as to what PE stands for but I'm looking for a source of Shimano Ocea EX8 line in PE2. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Then I need PE3 or PE4.  Thanks, I'll read it as soon as I finish making another wind-on topshot.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I see it on Amazon and eBay. It looks like the 2 breaks at 40#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Keta

Or maybe PE2 or PE3 if it's Shimano OCEA EX8.   

"Shimano, as seen with Ocea braid, will advertise a more realistic breaking strain in relation to the PE rating (i.e PE 5 Ocea braid has an advertised breaking strain of 84lb) to differentiate their product."

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

You can always use Daiwa J-braid or boat braid. Daiwa has been making braided line linger than most if not everyone.  The had and continue to have top knotch braided lines. My Shimano Twin Drag spinning reel that I got over 25 years ago still has Daiwa Braided Line and has never let me down.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The prices are insanely high for the Shimano EX8, I'll stick with JB.

Mark Twain

Three se7ens

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 30, 2018, 05:18:36 AM
You can always use Daiwa J-braid or boat braid. Daiwa has been making braided line linger than most if not everyone.  The had and continue to have top knotch braided lines. My Shimano Twin Drag spinning reel that I got over 25 years ago still has Daiwa Braided Line and has never let me down.

My favorite line by far for heavier weights is the daiwa saltiga boat braid.  I have a few rigs I use for casting with 55 lb and some 80 lb for bottom fishing.  Its soft, smooth, and supple.  And its color coded for depth (when it matters).

broadway

Have to agree with the guys here... Salting boat braid is smoother/more supple than JB and color coded.  I personally use both (JB on my spinners and Daiwa on conventionals) but don't fish anything more than 55 lb. braids so I don't know how the lines compare at heavier weights. 
You can't go wrong with either and the JB is cheaper.  Lee can get you whatever JB you need and at a great price, so give him a shout.
Tightlines,
Dom

Keta

I got a small spool of Berkley Fireline Tracer to try.  I hate having to order things I can not get locally and look at before buying.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

PE stands for polyethylene which most of the spectra type of lines are made of. Spectra is a trade mark name and for a company to use the word Spectra it must use the Honeywell PE. Several other companies make PE and braid manufactures use it but if it is not Honeywell's stuff they call their line things line Spectrex, Boat braid, PE or what ever.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on November 05, 2018, 06:32:48 PM
PE stands for polyethylene which most of the spectra type of lines are made of. Spectra is a trade mark name and for a company to use the word Spectra it must use the Honeywell PE. Several other companies make PE and braid manufactures use it but if it is not Honeywell's stuff they call their line things line Spectrex, Boat braid, PE or what ever.

Different "PE".   https://www.oceanbluefishing.com/pe-rating-fishing-line-diameter-chart/

Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

The original PE diamter system was developed by the Japanese trying to establish a common standard of measurement. It is based upon a numbering system known as "gouw", the system that the Japanese originally used to measure the diameter of silk thread. Being a diameter based system it should mean that 2 braids of PE2 should be the same diameter -yeh right! A lot of manufacturers don't even put a PE rating on there spools. The quoted diameters and BS are usually inaccurate as well.
You can't really use calipers or a micrometer to accurately measure line diameter. So I used a measuring microscope. I took 3 PE2 braids (should be 0.235mm according to the scale) all 3 were well under that. The thinnest was 0.18mm (I can't tell you whos braids they were, the reel spools just had PE2 on them :-\). As for breaking strain buy a 50lb line from different sources - are they all going to break at the same poundage - NO. With modern lines there is so much variation in 3, 4, 8, 12 and 16 solid or hollow weave - different pick count and different batches. I have been using the PE scale for a while now - only because I know it will give me a better appreciation of how much line will go on a modern reel. Forget about it for old conventionals - just keep winding till its almost full ;D

Of course we could all go back to cuttyhunk :D ;D

Mini rant over I'm going back to my quiet place fo a glass of Rioja :)