penn 330 gti

Started by dinonzl, November 01, 2018, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonzl

hi guys dean here,right got asked to look at a mates reel penn 330 gti,the problem is when its winding the spool is jumping out of the pinnion gear and slips for half a turn then winds fine it has me stumped whats going on

alantani

it sounds almost like someone put a left handed gear set in the reel.  with a right handed gear set, the main gear puts downward pressure on the pinion gear so that it cannot "rise" up or jump off.  weird........  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Could the spool shaft be so bent that the pinion is pulling away from the main?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

but it's disengaging when it should be under a downward load from the main gear.  it's not a true helical cut, but it is still angled. 

Bill B

I'm suspecting worn shoulders on the pinion or spool.....or both...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

yeah, there is a high probability that he has that now. but the pinion is still popping out under a load.  that's the weird part.  unless it was never engaging at all.  hey, maybe the ring around the base of the pinion gear came off and is getting in the way!

Ron Jones

Leave it to the Boss to come up with the most logical thing to check.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

akfish

I see this fairly frequently with 340s and 345s that have been fished with heavy drag for halibut. The shoulder on the spool and inside of the pinion gear wear down so the the gears slip when feeling under pressure. The only solution I have found is a new spool and new gears. Ouch.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

Quote from: akfish on November 02, 2018, 11:26:33 AM
I see this fairly frequently with 340s and 345s that have been fished with heavy drag for halibut. The shoulder on the spool and inside of the pinion gear wear down so the the gears slip when feeling under pressure. The only solution I have found is a new spool and new gears. Ouch.

Yes, all it takes is a little rounding wear where the spool shoulder engages with the pinion — and there is no filing or adjustments that I know of that have worked effectively (I have tried unsuccessfully)— except a spool and pinion replacement.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.