Penn history question

Started by Maxed Out, November 03, 2018, 01:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Back in the day, Penn made trade reels exclusively for specific retailers. Schultz, LL Bean, Sears, and a few others as well.

My question is.... Did Penn ever make a trade reel with the stock Penn logo ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Ted I don't know butt I think you found one.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Dominick on November 04, 2018, 01:03:33 AM
Ted I don't know butt I think you found one.  Dominick

Are you saying I don't pass the sniff test ??  ;D  ;D

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Deepennz

Hi Ted,
I have a NYHTC/penn trade reel, a 300yd Bayhead, with the Penn logo on the front and the white diamond logo on the back.

All my other trade reels don't have the Penn logo.

Cheers
Martin

Maxed Out

Quote from: Deepennz on November 05, 2018, 01:01:55 AM
Hi Ted,
I have a NYHTC/penn trade reel, a 300yd Bayhead, with the Penn logo on the front and the white diamond logo on the back.

All my other trade reels don't have the Penn logo.

Cheers
Martin

Yep, that's the one. The diamond embossed on tailplate is the tell tale sign for this trade reel. They seem to be very hard to come by in comparison to all other trade reels, and the few I've seen are all mid 30's era

Ted

Darin Crofton

I've seen one of those, Ted, pretty cool reel that should be in any great Penn collection!!!  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Penn Chronology

I have seen them only from the 1930's also. I have an early Bridge City / Black Diamond Trade reel. They are rare. Black Diamond Trade Reels were also made using Ocean City reels and some replaced the logo plate with a Black Diamond logo.

The Parent company of the Black Diamond logo was the New York Hardware Trading Company.

Cuttyhunker

The LL Bean trade 249 reel has both companies.  LL Bean on the Head and a standard 4 boat Penn tail plate.
Doomed from childhood

sdlehr

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 03, 2018, 01:23:10 AM
Back in the day, Penn made trade reels exclusively for specific retailers. Schultz, LL Bean, Sears, and a few others as well.

My question is.... Did Penn ever make a trade reel with the stock Penn logo ??

Ted
Quote from: Cuttyhunker on December 30, 2018, 01:42:07 PM
The LL Bean trade 249 reel has both companies.  LL Bean on the Head and a standard 4 boat Penn tail plate.
Accurate statement, but really outside the scope of Ted's original question, not to be nit-picky :) :) :)
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector