12/0 bridge problems & more

Started by dbiscayne, November 04, 2018, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbiscayne

I picked up an older 12/0, handle seemed pretty wobbly so tore it down & am now debating wether or not it's worth making it right or just sell to someone w some spare parts laying around?
Biggest issues- the pinion gear is stuck to the spool shaft, haven't tried too hard to separate yet.
The 'post' that the main gear sleeve slides over isn't attached securely to the bridge plate which is why the handle is wobbly.
Non-handle side bearing is also stuck to the shaft, again haven't tried too hard to separate.
PiƱon gears show decent amount of wear.
Would also replace both bearings while in there but not sure how available these are, this reel doesn't have the screw down bearing cover/spool tension thing on the clicker side.

Any good ways (& not too much $$$) to fix these?

Swami805

1st get it apart, a new bridge and bearings should be too hard on the wallet. If you need a spool and gear set then it starts to add up and might not be worth the effort. Heat,penetrating oil and patience to get it apart then see where you are.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

dbiscayne

It's apart, had to unscrew the 4 bridge screws to get the spool off.
Anybody got a 12/0 bridge (part 3-116) laying around to sell?

day0ne

Quote from: dbiscayne on November 04, 2018, 05:15:57 PM
It's apart, had to unscrew the 4 bridge screws to get the spool off.
Anybody got a 12/0 bridge (part 3-116) laying around to sell?

$29 at Mysticparts.com
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

dbiscayne

A long soak in acetone/tranny fluid mix freed up the gear and bearing too.
New bridge and drag stack from Mystic arrived this week got it all back together seems to spin pretty good got to put a load on it next.
This reel was about as crusty as they get Lime Away cleaned it up nicely.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

The Master at work! :)...love these short and very informative video clips.

Good job boss!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Thanks Alan, we always willing to learn, good value, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

AC49

Hi All

I have a question regarding a 12/0 Senator. The headplate ring where the drag wheel tightens on to is loose. Is there a special tool you guys use to to ensure it is solid and has no play ?? It seems originally it was somehow pressed into place ? I might need another sideplate if I was to use it or should I tap and shelve it ?

Regards
AC49

Alto Mare

I have seen them loose, I actually have a couple for the 16/0 in my part bins.

AC, just push it back in, it won't go anywhere. It's only a shield.

If it bothers you, just add a drop of glue on one side, but I would just push it in,  I've done it is a few times
With no issues.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Yea,
As Sal commented, They aren't pressed in to be that solid. It is normal for them to be loose.
Life is Good!

mo65

Good job on that reel dbiscayne. Alan's vid will be very helpful for a lot of us too. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AC49

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 28, 2019, 09:13:12 PM
Yea,
As Sal commented, They aren't pressed in to be that solid. It is normal for them to be loose.

Thanks Sal and Daron

What is the main purpose of this shield ?  ??? Sorry for my ignorance ...

Cheers
AC49

Alto Mare

No ignorance at all, probably just testing us🙂.

The purpose for the shield is to keep the washers out of the elements.

Sal