Wife Went Bonkers

Started by Hardy Boy, November 06, 2018, 09:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Quote from: Gobi King on November 09, 2018, 06:02:41 PM
I need a "bonker" in my tackle box.

This salmon season I got a taste of rotten fish blood, eggs, and muddy water at the river bank, I can vouch that this stuff is not appetizing by any measure,  :P

Bleeding fish:

if the fish is dead how will it bleed? I mean will it's heart still pump?

knock em unconscious  > cut gills on both sides > cut in cooler

did I get that right?

That's right. They still seem to bleed out after a a knock on the noggin. I bonk and cut around the gills (or cut some gills) and put in my in floor fish box full of water and they bleed lots, after that into the cooler with ice. Halibut I bleed while hanging them off of a rope over the side...... just remember to put into the boat before taking off !! :-\ .................. don't ask how I know about water-skiing halibut.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

I've found that bonking the salmon too hard will kill them and they don't bleed out as well without a heartbeat.

I go more for a firm "knockout" blow that keeps the heart beating. The fish may awaken a bit while bleeding, but nothing more than a couple tail slaps

I've been on charters in BC where the guide bonks the salmon before gaffing....guess they didn't like using a net. We can't legally gaff a salmon here in Washington.

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on November 09, 2018, 05:37:22 PM
  Thanks Mr. Julo,  can you give us some more details on your brain spiking technique?  Do you have the fish overboard?  Do you use a knife or a  spike  as I,m thinking ?   Thanks we are here to learn ;)

I am as far as you can get from an  expert on this stuff.     Since the neural canal and optic nerves go directly into the brain,  the end of the lateral line and the eye sockets show you where the brain resides.    Fish have pretty small brains,  but it will be somewhere  not too far behind and somewhere above the centerline of the eyes and past the end and slightly above the lateral line.    Each fish has different access points  through the hard skull.   If you are catching the same species over and over again, you can dial it in.

Tuna are easy.   There is a soft patch in front of the eyes on the top of the head.  Just go in at a 45 degree angle toward the back.

Yellowtail  also from the top,  but from the tail side.   Hard headed fish like groupers, snappers, rockfish,  come in from the side.  Same with flatter fish like dorado/mahi.   

The pros can probably hit the exact spot with just a jab.  For me,  rather than repeated stabbings,  I just swing the tip of the spike around a bit, mostly front to back to front.   This also helps to scramble the brains and sever the connection to the neural canal.

I just use a sharpened screwdriver.   One of my favorite captains  takes a big windup and goes in with a pair of needle nose pliers, horror movie style.

Salmon go pretty easy with just a knock on the head, so not as important.   A strong whack on a big yellowtail sometimes results in just a short nap- so I always spike yellowtail. Rockfish and lings can be spiked from the side.    For  halibut, I have no idea.  I don't know if there is an easy way.   A bullet or bang stick is a form of brain spiking.   I  don't know if you can get a spike in by hand without a hard deck underneath.  It doesn't seem that there are many folks out there that put a big live halibut on their deck more than one time ;)

Gobi King

Jurelo, good info, thanks!

Red fish Story: I landed a 20 lb redfish in Dauphin Island, AL. The fish has swallowed my gama hook, I was going to give away but I wanted to retrieve my "lucky" gama 10/0 octo hook. The hook was all the way down to the crush plate area. I took the Lords name and stuck my hand in there only have my pinky crushed by the bit. A gentlemen from  Mississippi offered to help me and took my long pliers and stuck them through the eye of the fish from 1 side and out the other. Nada, fish still kicking hard. We finally used the butt of a screw drive to keep the mouth open while he wrenched the hook out.
I tried whacking the head (top) with the butt of the screw driver, the deep thunk told me that the skull on top was just too think  :o.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

Its my opinion that the fish, any fish bleeds out quicker with a cut to the bone above the tail and cutting the gills or severing the artery along the spine.  Butt this means its best done in the boat in a tote or fishbox.  Its seeming more humane to stun the fish first as they (like we would) die slowly.    Some folks are real fussy with their boats getting dirty.   Everybody has different situations.  I watched a salmon fisherman in a video recently sitting in a small electric powered inflatable trying to stab and kill a salmon in the net overboard his small boat.  He looked like one poke from swimming! ???
    Secondly I think in warm climates ans sunny daze putting the fish on iice is going to make a better product. 
Getting the stomach enzymes out means cleaning the fish.   Nowadaze some places have laws against cleaning on the streamside so you have to make some decisions.  Enzymes , blood, guts, and heat will start to degrade you prize as soon as its dead.
    Best of luck to all,  and thanks Mr. Hardy for sharing your bonker post. 

MitchelGarcia

Lots of good input here fellas. Thanks. On the Isla they just grin, say "toma!" And smack the fish with whatever's handy.

Gobi King

Update:

I followed the bleeding em right away advise this year, I kept a small knife handy and cut the gills before I tossed the fish in to my 5 gal bucket. I think it made a difference, though the fish were small 2 to 3 lbs range.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan