Cleaning Toothbrushes — Need Your Advice

Started by foakes, November 09, 2018, 08:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I have always tossed into the trash any really greased up toothbrushes after using — that the grease will not come off easily.

Is there a way to clean these up easily without ruining them?  Degreaser, bleach, or?

Wayne has given me a bunch of these, along with my dentist, and Dollar Tree.

Any thoughts?  Or just keep tossing?

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

I keep tossing them because the oil will tend to degrade the bristles too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

El Pescador

And Fred, I'll do it again,

One call to my Dentist and I have have a bag of 200 new brushes,

Would you like some new brushes???

I get my teeth cleaned on Monday, I will ask her,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Midway Tommy

I swish mine around in lacquer thinner if they get really bad. It does a good job but you have to be quick otherwise the bristles will deform and the handle will melt. When I clean the parts with original White GOOP hand cleaner the GOOP cleans the bristles while cleaning the parts so not much else is needed. I've been using the same brush for about 5 years now.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

STRIPER LOU

Fred,

How about running them thru your ultrasonic cleaner????

.................Lou

philaroman

keep tossing...  aside from getting dirty,
the bristles loose stiffness & alignment
'til an ex-brush is no more effective than a rag on a stick

akfish

I drop mine in a bowl with straight Simple Green. After a few hours or over night, I rinse them in warm water and they're good to go.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

philaroman

also, for detailed work, I use little brushes for electric clippers/shavers -- I think those are made from different materials that are actually meant to come in contact w/ lubes & solvents w/out loss of structural integrity

Lunker Larry

I just lay mine on a dirty shop rag when I'm done and give them a soak with WD40. Give them a minute, wipe the excess and blow it with compressed air into the rag. Works perfect thank you.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Gfish

Same as Larry only I soak mine in the WD, then scrape on terry cloth. Works on metal brushes also.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Ron Jones

If you look at Alan's tutorials from 10+ years ago, he uses 2 tooth brushes; one for cleaning/greasing and one for drag grease. I used both of them last month. Smashed flat and filthy, but still working great. I wouldn't want to guess how many reels they've serviced.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Frank

Quote from: akfish on November 09, 2018, 09:51:46 PM
I drop mine in a bowl with straight Simple Green. After a few hours or over night, I rinse them in warm water and they're good to go.

I do the same. I use Simple Green in my ultrasonic parts cleaner too. I'm very happy with the results and no fumes.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

RowdyW

I use a cheap 1 inch paint brush with the bristles cut shorter to clean parts , plates, etc. For greasing I use flux brushes with the bristles shortened. Cheap & last almost forever.       Rudy

Rivverrat

I put them in the sonic cleaner with dish soap. Then when I visit my son I swap it out with a new one on the sink in the X's bathroom...   8)