Cleaning Toothbrushes — Need Your Advice

Started by foakes, November 09, 2018, 08:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

After I use the toothbrush to clean and degrease the gears...it is black with grime. I later use that same brush to scrub parts with baking soda/dish soap...and the brush ends up clean as new...ready to start the process all over again. Usually after about 3 or 4 reels the bristles are shot though. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

X says  that the black tooth brushes taste funny. 

Dominick

Dollar store...6 brushes for a dollar.  You can throw them away when they too cruddy. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Reel 224

Wold Oxie clean work?.............I'm lazy with cleaning tooth brushes, just throw them into the round file, and get another. ;) ;D...............Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Frank

I never had a lot of luck with Oxie clean, Joe. It might just be me.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Brewcrafter

I too generally just discard and recycle toothbrushes.  And as mentioned above, flux brushes that are trimmed down are my go to for applying grease.  But here is something that I threw in my toolbox that works pretty good for really small, tight areas, especially those oil galley passages like Penn uses to oil the main gear.  I know, pipecleaners are a good goto as well.  You'll find these in the dental section of your local grocery/pharmacy.

Bill B

They're cheap enough to toss them when no longer useful.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

These days, since every entity recommends soft or medium, it seems like hard bristle tooth brushes, which work best on reel parts, are getting more difficult to find. Medium or soft bristles don't work near as well, won't last near as long and find their way to the waste basket a lot quicker. I also like some of the denture brushes, especially those that have tapered bristles on the end. They're not expensive and do a great job of getting into corners. I still use rejected tooth brushes but always have a denture brush in the pile.    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Eddie K

I clean my brushes with undiluted Dawn dish detergent, then rinse after I clean a reel.  My lube brushes I don't clean because they have clean fresh grease on them.