Why I Like Charter Fishing

Started by Maxed Out, November 11, 2018, 12:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

I have been a boat owner for almost 30 years and fish my local waters a lot, mostly for salmon. My first few seasons were a constant struggle to catch fish, and the turning point was going to Barclay Sound with a local guide. He grew up there and had obscene amount of local knowledge, and I was eager to absorb as much as possible. I used his methods in my home waters and gradually became more successful at catching. I continued going with the same guide for several years and we became very good friends. Many things I learned from him cannot be put into words.

I then started doing self guided 5 day trips to floating lodge at Hippa Island. Last count I've been there 13 times. I learned a huge amount from the fish master on those trips and had some memorable salmon fishing as well as halibut and ling.

After spending 100g's on a new boat in 2007 I could not justify those spendy lodge trips anymore, but still continue doing local charters. Most recently a long time friend and 6 pak charter was my local choice. He fishes the coast from April thru August. Ling cod, halibut, and salmon. He is very fishy and is always the guy that everyone wants his hot numbers(lat/lon). He has even pointed the way for me when I was in my own boat. I would have struggled that year without his help, cause we caught our kings with 350-490 feet of cable, and normally I don't go beyond 250 to find fish.

Nowadays I do all my fishing from my boat. I am now considered one of the "local knowledge" guys, and enjoy sharing to help other who are frustrated by seeing other boats loaded with fish back at the ramp.

Without all the expert knowledge I absorbed from all those years of chartering, I'd likely still be struggling. I don't admit to being an expert, that's not what it's about for me. I just strive for consistency, cause nobody likes getting skunked no matter where you're fishing !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Offshore fishing can be tricky, unless you have the good numbers !!

My charter friend wont offer his best spots, but his secondary hot spots are good enough for me !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

You earned your highliner stripes Ted!  There's no substitute for time on the water, and there's no better way to steepen the learning curve than to put in the time with guys who have developed their methods and strategies over  thousands of hours.

swill88

"Sharing is caring..."  (AT said this to me on the SOA)

Thanks Ted.

Steve

alantani

Quote from: swill88 on November 11, 2018, 02:55:26 AM

Thanks Ted.

Steve

Was there alcohol involved?  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on November 11, 2018, 04:37:11 AM
Quote from: swill88 on November 11, 2018, 02:55:26 AM

Thanks Ted.

Steve

Was there alcohol involved?  ;D

No Alan... You were as sober as a true liberal.
I must pass this on to Joy.   ;D

Rivverrat

Quote from: swill88 on November 11, 2018, 05:27:38 AM

Now that is laugh out loud rip in the pants funny. Not heard that before.

Gfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 11, 2018, 03:50:33 PM
Quote from: swill88 on November 11, 2018, 05:27:38 AM

Now that is laugh out loud rip in the pants funny. Not heard that before.
X2!
Thinkin bout it, I don't think I've ever figured out hardly anything about fishing completely on my own. There's been a fair amount a trial n error, but it's been coupled with stuff showen to me, or written by others. In the beginning, as about a 5yr. old, I was unusually fascinated with the whole thing and took to it almost instinctually, and could never get enough of the new things to try out. Somethin about huntin those edible critters that I couldn't see...

Man Ted, for an ocean caught King(female, right?), that puppy's fat!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 11, 2018, 12:37:37 AM

Without all the expert knowledge I absorbed from all those years of chartering, I'd likely still be struggling. I don't admit to being an expert, that's not what it's about for me. I just strive for consistency, cause nobody likes getting skunked no matter where you're fishing !!

Ted

i dunno, sounds pretty expert to me!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Same here Ted.  When I owned my own boat I would get skunked a lot of the time.  I found out I was fishing too deep or too shallow.  I learned to read the fish finder and even then I would get skunked.  I never did figure out what I was doing wrong but all of a sudden I started catching fish doing the same the things when I would get skunked.  Go figure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Benni3

Great job man,,,,that's a big one ;D

Darin Crofton

truth spoken! I want a slab of that halibut  ;D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

thorhammer

Cool, but that flounder aint even legal in the sound in NC. It has to have a gator laig hanging out of its mouth fore we can keep one. The laig is just gravy. And I mean that literally. Simmered down with bacon grease and flour poured over top offa flounda bisset and grits. We use a whole chikkn on a circle hook cut out of a Caderact hubcap with a Sawzall for bait.  Works great.

Ya'll weren't sure if I MIGHT actually be serious til I capitalized Sawzall like the proper noun it is :)

However....now I'm thinkin....

Dominick

Quote from: thorhammer on November 12, 2018, 01:30:16 AM
Cool, but that flounder aint even legal in the sound in NC. It has to have a gator laig hanging out of its mouth fore we can keep one. The laig is just gravy. And I mean that literally. Simmered down with bacon grease and flour poured over top offa flounda bisset and grits. We use a whole chikkn on a circle hook cut out of a Caderact hubcap with a Sawzall for bait.  Works great.

Ya'll weren't sure if I MIGHT actually be serious til I capitalized Sawzall like the proper noun it is :)

However....now I'm thinkin....
You mean drinkin...   ;D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

If I see further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!