Another Torium Trouble

Started by handi2, November 12, 2018, 08:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

How these reels get this way I dont know. Almost all of them corrode inside but this one takes the cake. It did clean up and with a couple of new parts its back in action.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

akfish

I see this sort of thing on quite a few Toriums and Tekotas that come into the shop. The problem, of course, would be eliminated if there had been a thin film of grease on all internal parts -- including the internal end cap and frame. It can easily become a long term problem because the reel is made of cast (not machined) aluminum and is not anodized.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

whalebreath

Quote from: akfish on November 12, 2018, 08:17:34 PM
I see this sort of thing on quite a few....Tekotas that come into the shop. The problem... would be eliminated if there had been a thin film of grease on all internal parts....
Uh Oh-time to check the new toy and do some preventative maintenance.

nelz

Holy mackeral, that looks hopeless! You must be a miracle worker.  ;D

Dominick

I hope you sent the customer a photo and charged him double.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Did it look bad on the outside too? Any clue that it was that bad inside?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Hmmm, glad I donated mine. Are there any other knowen reels with cast aluminium, that can end up like that?

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

All brands have some cast aluminum reels. If they aren't 100% waterproof then they can wind up like that if they are cast or forged.  Neglect will do it every time.       Rudy

David Hall

That looks like it had a dunking or two and several years of saltwater use without any servicing.  I've got several tekotas.  None will ever look like that.

Shark Hunter

I thought you were throwing in the towel?
You have the patience of a Saint.

Life is Good!

CapeFish

If you give them the Tani treatment they last fine, all they need is a decent coating of grease on all the surfaces. Mine are still perfect and they have done a lot of swimming. I dunk mine in a bucket of weak soapie water if they get soaked in the salt. With the reel in the picture it clearly was soaked and left as is.

handi2

This was the worst ive ever seen and I've seen hundreds of these reels. They are very popular.

I have a bunch of pictures similar to this one but not as bad. If you dont pre service these reels they will corrode.

A good cleaning and a run through the Ultrasonic Cleaner got 99% of the corrosion removed. The frame was sprayed with TSI 301 and scrubbed in with a greasy toothbrush. No worries of corrosion again. The bearings were still good sans the bearing under the drag star. They always rust. I replace them with a rubber sealed bearing packed with grease.

I said I was done with reels for a while but its in my blood to fix something every day. If not I get bored really quick.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Quote from: akfish on November 12, 2018, 08:17:34 PMIt can easily become a long term problem because the reel is made of cast (not machined) aluminum and is not anodized.

Wow, these reels are not anodized? Wouldn't matter if it was forged or machined; no anodizing = trouble.

Ron Jones

Ok,
So, I have read people praise forged frames over cast for years. I'm not certain how a cast frame corrodes more than a forged frame? I'm not doubting its the case, I just don't understand it.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mrwilson99

That reel reminds me of the reel I saw at Ken's Custom in Oceanside...
David