Jigmaster 500a

Started by Maxed Out, November 16, 2018, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

If there ever was a collectable jigmaster, the 500a would be at the top of my list. The 500a was made exclusively for the South African market. Finding one outside of South Africa is not likely gonna happen.

Special thanks to Alan in Cape Town for the rare opportunity to own such a rare specimen

Here are a few pics.............The spool is different and I included a stock 500 plastic spool in the pics for comparison

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

End flange comparison

Spool on left is 500a spool

akfish

Wow. Is the spool the only difference?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

Cool reel Ted! Thanks for posting the spool differences. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

That is a rare one, Ted!

Glad it is in your collection — couldn't be more at home.

Thank You for sharing!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

The 500A spool looks like a Newell profile on the flanges. Do you know which came first?
Thanks for sharing this.
Mike

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

Quote from: akfish on November 16, 2018, 05:06:19 PM

The spool is the only difference on the reel, but the lube box has instructions in a language only a South African could translate. I've been told the Language is called Afrikaan

Click on pic for enlagement

Maxed Out

If you look close, the 500a spool has a backwards #4 between the ribbing. I have no clue about the # and assume it's just a mark for each mold.

If you have jigmaster spools like this, then it surely came off a 500a, because these spools were not made available to the USA for reasons unknown

Ted

Maxed Out

Quote from: PacRat on November 16, 2018, 05:48:57 PM
The 500A spool looks like a Newell profile on the flanges. Do you know which came first?
Thanks for sharing this.
Mike

Hello Mike, good to hear from you. Havent seen hyde nor hair of you lately. Always enjoy reading your input and observations

It does look very similar to a newell spool Mike. I'm 99.9% certain this Penn spool that resembles a newell came prior to newell spools.

Ted

Gfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 16, 2018, 08:50:29 PM
Quote from: akfish on November 16, 2018, 05:06:19 PM

The spool is the only difference on the reel, but the lube box has instructions in a language only a South African could translate. I've been told the Language is called Afrikaan

Click on pic for enlagement

Maybe a derivation of the Dutch language.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Aiala

It's Afrikaans, approximate translation as follows:

"Pressure tube only to bottom end, put spout oil spray to reel: do not be too much oil. See our catalog for oil for instructions."

Got that?  ;)  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

AC49

Very good Aiala  :)

The writing on the penn lube box is written in Afrikaans which is a language used here in South Africa originally from the Dutch settlers in 17th century.
Translated into English it reads:

Penn pressure lubrication system
Press tube only from bottom, insert spout in oil port on reel:
do not use excess oil. see our catalogs for oil instructions.
Penn reels
Manufactured in USA

Kind Regards
Alan

Dominick

Congratulations to you Ted and Alan for a great find.  What is the consensus on the spools?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Dominick on November 17, 2018, 07:34:46 PM
Congratulations to you Ted and Alan for a great find.  What is the consensus on the spools?  Dominick

The spools are very common according to Sal and he is the king of jigmasters, so I have no argument. Case closed

Ted