Hello! A tale of two reels.

Started by The real popeye, November 18, 2018, 02:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The real popeye

First off hello from Northeastern ct. and thanks for having me aboard.
I recently picked up two Penn Fathom 25  level wind reels. A used right hand ( on the right) $65 with braid and a lefty ( on the left) listed as "for parts" for $35. Seller said it was siezed but otherwise its in perfect shape.
In the next picture is what I saw when I opened them both up. Again righty on right, left on left. Initially I thought anti reverse was messed up and was ready to order a new one. Something didn't seem quite right with the lefty . I took it apart a dozen times still it didn't operate correctly. When I turned the reel manually the dog would engage. If I removed it the reel worked like it should. It took me a while to realize what was wrong right handed reals in their proper orientation reel clockwise over the top and the lefty reels counter clockwise. So it seems somehow the dog and the big gear (ratchet?) were put in backwards. I didn't really know anything but had nothing really invested and nothing to lose so I reversed them both and wouldn't you know the reel seems to work perfectly. I had to replace the eccentric lever because the previous owner must have tried to force it to release and  rounded off the squared portion of it. Other wise it's in great condition.
Anyway that is my long winded hello!

Darin Crofton

Welcome Popeye! It must have taken a lot of patience to figure that one out, good job! Darin from Tampa
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Well done. Those little things can really affect how the reel is supposed to work.  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

Nice to meet you, popeye.
You would have thought that whoever put the thing together wrong would have realized something wasn't right straight-away.
Your good luck.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Hello Popeye, you've two great reels.

This is a model that doesn't get the respect it deserves. What you paid for them makes them all that much sweeter. These reels will fish 30 through 50 line well. Though they will be at their best fished with 30- 40.
Max fishable drag on these seems to be around 15 lbs.. That covers a lot of fishing given their line capacity.

I've three 25N's that have, along with being a member here taught me a lot about reels how they work & what I need to see for a reel to work for my fishing.

Fished within their specs, outside of normal parts wear / replacement you will not wear these reels out in your life time... Jeff  

The real popeye

Thanks fellas to this point only the right handed has seen action on blackfish to 12 lbs , sea bass, and gator bluefish in the 12-15 lb range. Rod for the lefty should be delivered this week.
Next up a couple of senator 6/0's in need of attention.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Dominick

After that experience you will fit right into this site.  Glad to have you aboard.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cor

I wonder how long it would have taken me to see that one, I have actually never touched a left handed reel.  :-\
Welcome to this board!
Cornelis

The real popeye

Quote from: Cor on November 20, 2018, 06:40:16 PM
I wonder how long it would have taken me to see that one, I have actually never touched a left handed reel.  :-\
Welcome to this board!
Yeah I got lucky finding that but even a blind nut finds a squirrel sometimes.
on the left hand reel thing, my whole life weather it be fly fishing for trout or surf casting for stripers  I have casted with my right hand and reeled with my left, until I started fishing from a friends boat. Now I pick up a conventional turn it upside down and reel righthanded it's not a big deal but it doesn't feel natural. I had considered a lefty for a while this parts reel seemed like a cheap enough experiment.

Benni3