next strip down

Started by milne, November 21, 2018, 09:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

Hi guys,
            Just completed another strip down and clean up of my Anglesea, It's dark here so I wont bother trying to take a photo,
  Will do tomorrow but.
My next reel to start, is a maroon coloured Bridge city, it's a 4 poster, with a star drag, wooden bell handle, waffle clicker button.
My question is, this is the first one that I've come across that's had  an anti reverse in this Era. What would these features date this reel from ?

Plus, when did they actually start putting anti reverse in these reels ??

I know, it's a newbie question !
I bet all the info is in Mikes book  ;D
I'm going to strip it down to start with the cleaning process, so once done I'll put a Photo up of it.......

Col

Swami805

I think they made reels with anti-reverse, drags and free spool since the begining. They made reels with fewer features  to sell at a lower price. Post some pictures when you get a minute
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

A few of the first Penns in '33 had anti-reverse, so for Penn it was from the beginning. The anti-reverse and star drag evolved with each other and the patent granted to Julius vom Hofe, Jr. in 1911 for that device might be the first patent for the anti-reverse - the anti-reverse was useless without a functional drag.... Although vom Hofe took credit for the patent it was a project done by multiple people (him, George "Tuna" Farnsworth, Joe Coxe and William Boschen, for whom the vom Hofe "B-Ocean" was named) starting in vom Hofe's basement in Brooklyn, NY and tested on the California coast by members of the Avalon Tuna Club on Catalina Island.

Vom Hofe's naming of his B-Ocean reel (the first reel to have an adjustable star drag in the form currently in use) was in tribute to William Boschen's efforts on the star drag design and perhaps an intent to remove some of the guilt for having taken credit for the patent..... Boschen was said to have responded "it was work done by so many people I never thought it was my design to patent" (or something similar) when asked why he never patented the design. Julius vom Hofe, Jr. apparently had no such qualms....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

milne

Thanks Guy's,
           Gee, this is one big learning curve going on here.
It is the first of my pre war, so far that had an anti-reverse, so it was new to me.
I'll finish the clean up then post a photo, it's in pieces now.
Thanks again,     So much to learn !!!

Col

sdlehr

I think I misremembered part of the story. Prior to 1911, there were reels which utilized drag mechanisms similar to what we are used to seeing now (and also anti-reverse), most notably the incorporation of a drag surface on each side of the main gear which was freed from the sleeve and allowed to rotate (when driven by the pinion gear engaged with the rotating spool). What the vom Hofe 1911 patent did was incorporate the alternating slotted-eared-slotted metal drag washers with drag material between them and allowed for the simple adjustment by the star threaded onto the gear sleeve thus compressing the drag stack.
Sid Lehr

milne

Thanks Sid, great info.
Well, fairly happy today, still cleaning my Bridge city, but, a new reel arrived, a King fisher trade reel.
It's a maroon coloured 3 poster, fairly grungy, and doesn't look as if it had been cracked open at all.
So, I normally finish one job before I start another, but I couldn't resist having a peek inside !!
FINALLY, got one with the JK marking. Was even happier to see it on both side plates !!
So it's gone back together and put back in the box, the bridge city will get cleaned and finished first,
Then, I'll be on to the King Fisher.......

sdlehr

Nice, Col, a Kingfisher Long Beach from 1933! I picked up one of those about a year ago. Look forward to "after" pics.
Sid Lehr

milne

Hi Sid,
           Yes I saw your post when you got yours,  I was so wrapped to get one, my first with the symbols in them.
Problem is Sid, I'm finding it just spurs you on to find another !!!

Col

Gfish

Nice! Interesting the way the tail plate is formed on the inside with the ridges. I assume it's to strengthen the attachment points for the frame posts & stand.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

milne

Hi Guys,
             Finished off the 33 King Fisher today.
        Again apologies for quality of Pic's.
     It's another with a lot of  " patina " after a good cleaning. It's always a shame to see the chrome loss, once I peeled all the line off, again
    it had really eaten into the spool.
   But still, it's got those magic JK markings, so it will take pride and place on the shelf, ( a new decent display shelf is under way)
   If only all these "patina" marks could tell stories, after 85 years later, it certainly makes you think about it.

Col

milne

P.S
     Was adding this to the last post, but my Computor skills are challenged  !!

One of my earlier purchases were these coloured Monofils, OH they are so pretty !!
But even though the  last few reels I've cleaned up have a lot of wear and Patina, they still have more appeal to me......

Col