drill bits

Started by Donnyboat, November 22, 2018, 02:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Dominick: You get better bits 1-5 at a time. Don't get all excited for bargain bits. I assume you don't have a machine shop, were you need a bunch of drills to do production work. So get a few at a time.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

There's a lot of good stuff out there. Stay away from the imported junk. Its worthless!

HSS is a minimum, cobalt, is better, especially if your drilling SS. Stubbies or screw machine length are good especially if your using smaller diameters, less flex.

The tin coat is not absolutely necessary but it does add a bit of lubricity to the bit.

I like good old fashion Cleveland HSS or Cleveland cobalt. I have fractional, letter size, number drills, and metric both in HSS and cobalt that are at least 25/30 yrs old and got used just about every day when I was at work. I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of them. If your not using a drill press and in a corded electric drill or a cordless, HSS is adequate.

For a Cleveland 29pc set, if you look around enough, you might find them in and around the neighborhood of seventy five to a hundred bucks or so. They are not cheap!

Home Depot/Lowes stuff like Black & Decker, Skill, Irwin are not great, ... probably Irwin getting the nod for the bunch, but none will compare to the Cleveland.

There's a bunch of other stuff out there that's good too,   .... I stuck with Cleveland as that's what most of the shops used, they've been around for ever and I've never had any problems problems.

If I should see a good deal on a set, Ill let you know.

.................Lou

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on November 27, 2018, 11:09:46 PM
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on November 27, 2018, 08:17:26 PM
Save your money!!!!

.....Lou

Okay Lou how about a recommendation that won't break the bank.  Dominick

You have more money than Rockafellow and I wish you another 100 year. Even so, you still wont have enough time to spend it all ::)

Get yourself a good set!!! :-*

By the way, most stuff mentioned on here lately, if you look close enough it is manufactured in China. But if the quality is good, that doesn't really matter, does it?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 28, 2018, 12:25:17 AM
Dominick: You get better bits 1-5 at a time. Don't get all excited for bargain bits. I assume you don't have a machine shop, were you need a bunch of drills to do production work. So get a few at a time.

Joe 

That is probably what I will do.  I guess I have to actually go to a store.  You remember those?  Right?  Big boxes.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

I hate to say it but it seems like that. After all that said. Look at GM dropping all those car models, It's a dam shame....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 28, 2018, 12:49:40 AM
Save your money!!!!

.....Lou

By the way, most stuff mentioned on here lately, if you look close enough it is manufactured in China. But if the quality is good, that doesn't really matter, does it?

Sal

Some stuff more so than others.  A brand known for quality will have better QC for their China made parts than what youll find in the bargain bin at harbor freight.

Something Ive noticed about many things made in China especially, is you have a handful of companies that make parts that are sold by many different companies, and many different price points.  Sometimes its as simple as a design being made in one factory, with different resellers getting different grades or levels of QC.  The best ones will go to the premium brands, and others will pick up the lower grades to sell for cheaper(or not sometimes).  

The international companies that either have their own factories, or have direct oversight of the factory building their parts generally have better than average quality, for instance Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, etc.  

I buy individual sizes for what I need from www.mcmaster.com  Most are only a few bucks a piece, even for HSS or cobalt.  Id just buy the specific sizes you need.  Youre going to be buying a lot of extra bits you wont use if you get a big set.  

Reel 224

Quote from: Three se7ens on November 28, 2018, 04:29:52 AM
Save your money!!!!

.....Lou

Sal

Some stuff more so than others.  A brand known for quality will have better QC for their China made parts than what youll find in the bargain bin at harbor freight.

Something Ive noticed about many things made in China especially, is you have a handful of companies that make parts that are sold by many different companies, and many different price points.  Sometimes its as simple as a design being made in one factory, with different resellers getting different grades or levels of QC.  The best ones will go to the premium brands, and others will pick up the lower grades to sell for cheaper(or not sometimes).  

The international companies that either have their own factories, or have direct oversight of the factory building their parts generally have better than average quality, for instance Shimano, Daiwa, Penn, etc.  

I buy individual sizes for what I need from www.mcmaster.com  Most are only a few bucks a piece, even for HSS or cobalt.  Id just buy the specific sizes you need.  Youre going to be buying a lot of extra bits you wont use if you get a big set.  

!00% agree. Because I do the same ;D ;D...................Joe

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 28, 2018, 04:35:48 AM
Quote from: Three se7ens on November 28, 2018, 04:29:52 AM
Save your money!!!!

.....Lou

Sal

!00% agree. Because I do the same ;D ;D...................Joe
So, you agree 0% Joe ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

I miss all of the industrial hardware supply stores we used to have in NE Philadelphia.

Reel 224

Sal; Your confusing me ??? ;D. My brain is screwed up enough without you help ;) ;D ;D........................Joe

Frank

Thanks for all the information on reel bits guys. It really cleared up a lot of misconceptions I had from the past. The most obvious is the benefits of using stubby bits due to less flex.

Is there such a thing as a heavy duty stainless/aluminum cutting brad point tip? I use the brad points on fiberglass and 1/2" plate aluminum boat transoms when drilling for outboard motor brackets and I want to make sure the bit doesn't walk. I start off with the brad point and once the hole is deep enough I switch to a cobalt regular bit to complete the process.

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Reel 224

Frank: I would use a Center drill first, there various sizes for drills.....................Joe

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

Centre punch then hss centre drill (stubby no flex thing) to start the hole. Then Hss (Co) for stainless or plain Hss for Aluminium/Brass/Mild steel. I only use brad points (carbon steel) on wood.
Carbide tipped bits work on pretty much anything but they are not particularly accurate and can wander - ok for masonry though.

For dimensional accuracy (tapping or bearing fit) I use drill bits complying with DIN338 RN - more expensive but if it needs to be accurate so be it.

Frank

Quote from: Reel 224 on November 28, 2018, 06:53:14 PM
Frank: I would use a Center drill first, there various sizes for drills.....................Joe

Never knew they existed Joe. Thanks again.

Frank