My first Penn 349 Master Mariner Build

Started by Darin Crofton, December 01, 2018, 07:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Put together a 349 Master Mariner tonight and love the looks/feel of it! Thank you, Lee, for the ss dog, lug blanks, ss washers and technical advice.
I put a frame kit from Tom @Cortez Conversions, ss cross bar and offset handle arm from Pro Challenger, knob from the Boss, HT-100 drag washer
kit and AT ss sleeve from Mystic. Sheridan hooked me up with a spool he got from Randy at Vintage Offshore. I love how a reel comes together
from so many amazing people in here, it's what makes it that much more fun, Ohana, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mhc

Nice work Darin, that's a very tidy looking 349 - I agree about all the great aftermarket parts available here and you found the right person for advice, Lee is the resident expert on Master Mariners.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Darin, you learn quickly, it didn't take you long at all to be a reel nut like the rest of us.
Good job!... it looks great!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Yep!  It's a beauty.  Good Job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

STRIPER LOU

Great reel Daron! Very clean look.

............Lou

Captain64-200

That's beautiful Darin !  Excuse my ignorance but do you still use your left thumb   ? or the mono reels  correctly on the spool by itself ?   

I don't know much about those narrow reels  :-\
Fred from Biarritz ,

foakes

Well done, Darin!

A great example and result of using many of the custom parts available to us on Alan's site.

With your skill and chosen materials — it is a reel to be used over multiple generations.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the kind words, grateful to be here! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Keta

Quote from: Captain64-200 on December 01, 2018, 03:55:24 PM
Excuse my ignorance but do you still use your left thumb   ? or the mono reels  correctly on the spool by itself ?   

You do but not nearly as much as on a standard or wide width reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Captain64-200

Quote from: Keta on December 01, 2018, 05:32:15 PM
Quote from: Captain64-200 on December 01, 2018, 03:55:24 PM
Excuse my ignorance but do you still use your left thumb   ? or the mono reels  correctly on the spool by itself ?   

You do but not nearly as much as on a standard or wide width reel.

OK , thanks Keta .
Fred from Biarritz ,