What do you consider vintage?

Started by Reel Beaker, December 02, 2018, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: grekim on December 02, 2018, 08:59:18 PM
Quote from: Reel Beaker on December 02, 2018, 01:10:48 PM
Quote from: conchydong on December 02, 2018, 01:07:16 PM
"vintage" usually refers to the year or period something was made such as a wine. When it is used to refer to something old, there isn't any real reference point. For me, I would classify something like a fishing reel to be "vintage" if it was at least 40 or 50 years old.

How do i know its age?

I guess I am vintage then.   Not sure if that is a good thing.
Vintage men and vintage reels equals Boys with toys...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Hmmmm. Year of birth:1957. The '57 Chevy, T-Bird and Stingray... Elvis, Buddy Holly, James Dean, Spuntnick, the Leave It To Beaver show.
Reels? I've got a mostly complete Jigmaster collection, but that was probably just an idea in '57(i.e., renew the Long Beach 259 Live Bait Caster) as they came out in '58 or '59.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brewcrafter

Ha!  Sid, Gfish and Grekim all touched on salient points - Firstly: One mans "vintage" is another mans "I remember when they started to make those".  I suspect it has a lot to do with who is in the conversation.  When I was much younger, I don't think Okuma existed and I don't recall seeing them much before the late 90's, so to me there are still "new on the scene" and I would never use the phrase "vintage".  But that does not necessarily mean it's a bad thing.  Newer stuff generally incorporates lessons learned/new technology, so when properly built is most likely to be an improvement.  Secondly:  In the sellers market of used anything (reels, rods, cars, tools, any widget you can name) I suspect "Vintage" is a meaningless term that translates to "bump the price by 30% because it looks old".  The opposite of this is when you are selling basically the same old product, change the color, pretty up the labeling and use the term "New and Improved".  Thirdly:  I have NO experience with Okuma.  I will say that there are landings/boats in SoCal that swear by their products and use them as rentals/loaners, but I am in no way, shape, or form qualified to discuss their quality or history.  Fourth:  The good news is that on this forum, there ARE people the know the workings and history of these reels inside and out, so you have a great knowledge resource here BUT: always rely on your own experience and instincts - if you are happy with what you are working with, satisfied with your financial investment, and it's working good for you in your situation - then if anybody else says it's "less than good" that really doesn't matter, does it?

oc1

Blue jeans become vintage within ten years.  It generally takes almost fifty years for furniture to be considered vintage by furniture aficionados. 

To me, vintage just means out of style or old fashioned.

I'm with Brewcrafter.  How could an Okuma be vintage?  Seems like they just appeared yesterday.
-steve

philaroman

I have a little Aveon 20 (11BB original -- not the later cheapened incarnation), which was their top model before V-System...  rather like the old-style fat body better (room to work ;) ) & V-System DFD spools adapt easily

that's arguably "vintage" as Okuma's go & quite good for the last decade (albeit, slightly ridiculous)
got rid of same reel in 15-size (grossly ridiculous & developed significant side-to-side handle play, after only 2 yrs.)

Midway Tommy

Vintage to me, since its meaning has no specific time line, era or age requirement, simply means nostalgic, some thing that brings back, generally but not always, fond memories.

Antique is specific @ 100 years.

Now collectible is a completely different animal. I've seen junk reels that I would never attach to a rod or ever fish with demand exorbitant $ just because they are so rare.   ::)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

grekim

My dad had a habit of collecting things that were "heavily made".  He would use a gear weighing several pounds for a pen holder.  Or, buy a coffee grinder that weighed over a hundred pounds, typewriters, etc.   So, I get some of it from him.  I am increasingly appreciative and amazed by the quality of old tools and machines, and even craftsmanship of old buildings and boats.  So, when you can give the old designs new life with restoration, it is very satisfying.   
Educating fish on every trip

Reel Beaker

mmm... i decided to take some of the advice here and skip the okuma centrific. Instead i bought the first gen Okuma Avenger. Anyone used any of these? Is the first gen Okuma Avenger fishable? If yes maybe i will get more of those since they are going cheap. Is the first gen okuma Avenger considered vintage?

RowdyW

conchydong

From the Okuma website. I wouldn't consider any of their fishing rods and reels "vintage" as they began in 1986.

OKUMA FISHING's Fishing Rods and Reels Manufacturing
Based in Taiwan, OKUMA FISHING TACKLE CO., LTD. is a fishing rods and reels manufacturer in sporting goods industry.
Quality and affordable fishing equipment - such as Fly Rods, Float Rods, and Spinning Rods; fishing reels including Spinning, Baitcast, Trolling, and Fly reels, they are all made with advanced materials and dynamic designs, since 1986.
OKUMA FISHING's fishing tackle is your best choice for freshwater and saltwater fishing. With over 31 years of fishing equipment experience, OKUMA FISHING delivers excellent quality fishing rods and reels in order to meet each customer's demands.

Reel Beaker

Starting to feel that this thread is kinda depressing. Wondering if me taking time and effort to learn about servicing my reels is in naught if my reels are gonna be considered "vintage" or just a nicer way of saying "used trash" in the future.

Maybe when i become "vintage" i will start to look back at wonder why i did silly things/mistakes in the past.

conchydong

Quote from: Reel Beaker on December 04, 2018, 11:29:29 PM
Starting to feel that this thread is kinda depressing. Wondering if me taking time and effort to learn about servicing my reels is in naught if my reels are gonna be considered "vintage" or just a nicer way of saying "used trash" in the future.

Maybe when i become "vintage" i will start to look back at wonder why i did silly things/mistakes in the past.

There is nothing wrong with trying to service a "lesser" reel. I think most are saying that it wouldn't be wise to invest a lot of money in it because the reel you referenced is not what most would call "vintage". If you read through the threads here, you will see that a lot of folks invest quite a bit of time and money into true vintage reels that may never even be used for fishing again.

Don't give up and let us know how things work out.

ps  I, myself, am not really a reel "hot rodder" or collector. I joined this site just to be able to service my stock reels and make a few minor upgrades so In wouldn't have to pay somebody else to do it.

Scott

Reel Beaker

Nah, just wondering at times if it is sometimes worth the time/effort as human lives has a limited amount of time. Sometimes i wish there were 25 hours a day instead of 24. Maybe..... i m getting old......

Donnyboat

Hi reel beaker, dont get disolutioned, we all learn as we go, I get out of bed in the morning & say to myself, what a great day it is, I am going to try & learn something new today, the same as I do everyday, My two bobs worth for vintage, is first generation reels, Know matter what make it is, with Senators first gen is when the winding arm is in the 5am posiction, or there abouts, all models have a first gen, depending on how old you live, hang in there man, your doing good, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

It's only vintage if you say it's vintage, but don't disparage vintage stuff.  Sometimes you have to get vintage equipment in order to have the required performance and dependability for the task at hand.  In the end, it is all about catching fish and increasing your chance of success by finding and having just the right equipment.
-steve