Shimano TLD 20 greased carbontex

Started by jeff smith, December 06, 2018, 05:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff smith

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of replacing the stock drag washers on my TLD 20s with greased carbontex versions. Do these work better than the original should they accidentally get wet?

conchydong

That is the best upgrade you can do for a single speed TLD.
A larger handle would be second. 

Scott

RowdyW

Ask The Boss about adding one more curved washer to up the drag curve a bit & the shim for the drag plate. Check with Alan he can send you the whole setup with the drag washer.       Rudy

Gfish

I knew next to nothing about greased c-tex, until I gave my TLD 15 a 20 min. saltwater bath after flipping my kayak over. I was forced to dissasemble an LD for the first time due to terrible drag function. Beginning of b.bearing corrosion and a saturated canvas-lookin drag washer. The Smooth Drag washer I replaced the old one with, was like a night n' day diffrence.
Smooth Drag was in the "for sale" section, where'd it go?  You can look it up...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Gfish, Smoothdrag was never in the For Sale section. It is in the General Maintenance section.     Rudy

seacane

Jeff
Alan did a new film tutorial that is in this section under "TLD 20/25". It has all the upgrades.
Regards

Gfish

Quote from: RowdyW on December 06, 2018, 08:59:34 PM
Gfish, Smoothdrag was never in the For Sale section. It is in the General Maintenance section.     Rudy
Oh. Never woulda guessed that. Last time I got some washers from there, I had to do a web search. Thanks Hoss.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

For a single speed tld 20, the canvas drag washers should be replaced.  The two speed tld 20 already has a carbon fiber drag washer.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

whalebreath

Quote from: conchydong on December 06, 2018, 06:00:48 PMThat is the best upgrade you can do for a single speed TLD.... A larger handle would be second. 
Can confirm/have done both and it's a new machine.